Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 Upgrade Gone Wrong - Re-posted From Tech Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 11:43 AM
fishbust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gnirtsnod
Okay, here's an update. Compression test showed 180 psi on both cylinders. Great! After riding almost 170 miles through the countryside, and a few small towns, mileage is up to 41.7 - best ever since the build...and, I pushed it some along the way

So where are we? Runs good, compression is good, over-the-road mileage is improving, and it feels like I would get higher numbers if I put it on the dyno again. Could it be that the engine was super tight and that was restraining the original dyno numbers?

Should I proceed with the bleed-down test? What will it rule out?
So the nightmare was not real? It just needed to be broken in and seated? Now everything is great?

Drop a case of beer at your wrenches shop!

Old 11-12-2011, 01:05 PM
gnirtsnod
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fishbust
So the nightmare was not real? It just needed to be broken in and seated? Now everything is great?

Drop a case of beer at your wrenches shop!
Not sure if it is 100% okay, but I am willing to say that it is better and I hope it continues to improve. I will gladly give him props if my bike performs as he promised. One thing I can say is that everything I wrote was accurate and my concerns were real and are only slightly abated, now.

As for the case of beer, he can buy it with the $100 tip I gave him when I picked up the bike after the build and I would hope he would put any change toward getting tools/gauges that he needs to have on hand. He couldn't explain what was going on, other than to say, "Hey, I don't know why it's not turning out numbers better than this." He's done nothing to reinforce any confidence I once had in him.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:14 PM
jasilva
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a couple problems, first your tune is off, definitely rich as you can see visible smoke on acceleration. Second the oil from the air cleaner indicates a bad oil pump alignment or the crank has excessive runout. I'd have it retuned by someone who knows what their doing but first take it to a reputable mechanic and have him pull the timing cover, check crank runout and then if that's okay realign the oil pump correctly. You should be able to run with the oil right at the full mark hot with no oil carryover out of the breathers. The combination of a bad tune along with excess oil n the sump will knock 20+ of the hp and tq numbers and the true duals ain't doing you any favors when it comes to power. My first 95" build had true duals and a shitty tune, 79 hp and 83 tq, put a 2:1 pipe on and got it tuned by a good tuner, 96 hp and 99 tq.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:32 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel:Air Ratio is not the end all to a good tune.

My dealer programmed MAP had perfect AFR but never was happy with performance. Finally did my research and found a better map, much closer to the mods done on my engine. Hooked up my laptop to the module and re-programmed the ECM.

Right from the stratup the bike sounded stronger. Initial throttle response was FINALLY what I had been looking for.

Many variables besides AFR to consider. Your C.I. and head upgrade will require a map flowing more than the stock VE (Volume Effeciency) MAP will allow. My new map shows a flow of 117.3 (roughly). This is more than the theoretical 100% due to the larger displacement and air flow possible with better flowing heads.

I have not had the AFR on my MAP tested yet, **** weather and life has not provided the chance to get it on the dyno.

Seat of pants feel after re-mapping? YEE HAH!!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2011, 03:40 PM
gnirtsnod
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ButtMan1000
Fuel:Air Ratio is not the end all to a good tune.

My dealer programmed MAP had perfect AFR but never was happy with performance. Finally did my research and found a better map, much closer to the mods done on my engine. Hooked up my laptop to the module and re-programmed the ECM.

Right from the stratup the bike sounded stronger. Initial throttle response was FINALLY what I had been looking for.

Many variables besides AFR to consider. Your C.I. and head upgrade will require a map flowing more than the stock VE (Volume Effeciency) MAP will allow. My new map shows a flow of 117.3 (roughly). This is more than the theoretical 100% due to the larger displacement and air flow possible with better flowing heads.

I have not had the AFR on my MAP tested yet, **** weather and life has not provided the chance to get it on the dyno.

Seat of pants feel after re-mapping? YEE HAH!!!!!!!
Yet another key response. Todd at Revolution Cycle Performance provided a map after I had the dyno performed, so I did not load it, thinking that you could could not get any closer to perfect than a dyno tune. After this response, I think I will save the "dyno" map and load what Todd sent. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:28 PM
fishbust
Tourer

As for the case of beer, he can buy it with the $100 tip I gave him when I picked up the bike after the build and I would hope he would put any change toward getting tools/gauges that he needs to have on hand. He couldn't explain what was going on, other than to say, "Hey, I don't know why it's not turning out numbers better than this." He's done nothing to reinforce any confidence I once had in him.
Oh.....you are supposed to wait a week or so and ride it and then go back with a tip, if one is warranted.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:33 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yet another key response. Todd at Revolution Cycle Performance provided a map after I had the dyno performed, so I did not load it, thinking that you could could not get any closer to perfect than a dyno tune. After this response, I think I will save the "dyno" map and load what Todd sent. Thanks.
Hope you get closer to your goal!!!

I cannot state more strongly the new found power in just changing the MAP.

No black smoke indicating to rich, just gobs more power.

Would have done the change a year ago, but the initial thought of re-programming with SERT was intimidating, just reading the manual!!!

PS, if weather holds, will get dyno performed this week to see numbers.
Old Dyno chart,

95 C.I. upgrade
Branch-O'keefe headwork and gear drive cams and 10:1 C.R. pistons
Feuling oil pump and cam plate.
Kerker mufflers with Mikuni baffles

Last edited by ButtMan1000; 11-12-2011 at 09:42 PM.