Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to store helmets on 05 RKC

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Cigarmessenger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where to store helmets on 05 RKC

We purchased some new higher quality helmets and will be installing an intercom system in them. Used to just hang one old helmet on the mirror and set one on the seat. Now I'm concerned some one might accidently knock one of the off the bike or even steal them. They're full face modular helmets and I want to be able to secure them to the bike without them coming into contact with hot parts or being disturbed passersby, possibly with a locking system. What do y'all use or any suggestions?

Old 11-06-2011, 09:46 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

the little hemet lock that mounts on the crash bars is a good place to hang them ( or one).

** it's a place to hang it, not to lock it--- I've never even heard of a helmet being stolen....

it has one way screws, before you tighten them, check that the saddlebag lids open and that thy are out of the way ( won't dig into the passengers ankle etc.)

if you have to remove the "security bit" that looks like a bowtie will remove them. hoarbot freight or anywhere else that sell cheap chinese tool sets for $6

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-06-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:50 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Unless you have a locking bag large enough for a full face, take it with you. Helmet locks are there only to keep honest people, honest. If a thief wants it, a thief will get it.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Harleydaddy
Tourer

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Unless you have a locking bag large enough for a full face, take it with you. Helmet locks are there only to keep honest people, honest. If a thief wants it, a thief will get it.
Yep! Especially if you got an intercom in your helmet. That just makes it more enticing to a thief to steal it!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Egras2k
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1 to take it with you.

Side note: I NEVER place a helmet on the seat, tourpak or anyplace it can fall off easily. You can weaken or fracture the insides from a short fall and be forced to replace it.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might as well plan on carrying your helmets with you from now on. There's not much worse than coming back to your bike to find your helmets are missing. Ask me how I know. I never leave a helmet on my bike anymore.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:21 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Put 'em in the tourpak.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 AM
caspr2
Tourer

Originally Posted by Cigarmessenger
We purchased some new higher quality helmets and will be installing an intercom system in them. Used to just hang one old helmet on the mirror and set one on the seat. Now I'm concerned some one might accidently knock one of the off the bike or even steal them. They're full face modular helmets and I want to be able to secure them to the bike without them coming into contact with hot parts or being disturbed passersby, possibly with a locking system. What do y'all use or any suggestions?
What I have used is those little cable locks that they pass out at gun shops to lock your pistol. Put the helmet on your mirror and run the cable thru your helmet straps. If someone wants it bad enough they have to cut the helmet straps to get it. Cheap fix...

Old 11-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put one on each mirror, never had a problem, if someone wants my sweaty azz helmet more power to em. Locks are for honest people.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:36 PM
rlaf75
Tourer

Or dont wear one and use hand signals. Me and my bros use our middle fingers alot

Quick Reply: Where to store helmets on 05 RKC