Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed Opinion on Anti-Lock Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Changed Opinion on Anti-Lock Brakes

I have never been a big fan of Anti-Lock brakes in my cages, and especially thought I didn't want them on a bike. My UC has them, and I liked everything else about the bike, so I bought it.

I've been on a road trip over in the Smoky Mtns the last 5 days. On my first ride over here on this trip, I had gotten a late start. Coming down the final stretch (last 10 miles) I was on a nice 4 lane divided highway. Speed limit 65mph. It was a perfect fall night in the TN hills. Totally clear sky, just a bit of a nip in the air, and Star FILLED sky. A little after midnight. ZERO traffic. Had the cruise control set around 70, was just kicked back jamming to some tunes, and admiring the beautiful sky. Yeah, I know...always pay attention dummy!! But I wasn't paying total attention.

I caught a glimpse of something, I looked at the road, and there were about 10 dear all in front of me, about 75 - 100 ft ahead. OMG, WTF!! I grabbed a fist full of front brake, and slammed my size 11 boot on the rear brake. Those anti-locks started clicking and making all manner of sounds. I safely came to a stop, except for that pucker hole in my seat, that I think is probably permanent. haha.

I'm a convert to anti-lock brakes. No doubt the outcome of that little mistake would have been MUCH less desirable without the anti-lock brakes.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:51 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+1. My seat pucker print came from a "oops I didn't see you" a-hole pulling out of a parking lot. ABS for life...

Old 11-06-2011, 08:05 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was making a hard right turn into a parking lot and slowing down at the same time. I hit some loose gravel and slid just a little, then the ABS kicked in and stood the bike right back up, I turned the handlebars to steer it straight and came to a stop. I must have gone from 20-25mph to zero in maybe 10 feet.

I'm a believer, too.

Mike

Old 11-06-2011, 08:06 AM
captwjf
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an '11 Limited. First bike with ABS, but at 900+ pounds I thoght it would be a good addition. First thing I did was take it out on a deserted road , got the bike up to 30 mph and grabbed a handfull of brake. Next run was at 40 the next 50 ect. I am sold. Never again without ABS. All you have to do is keep that front wheel straight.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:28 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, I was on a totally straight road, which I'm very familiar. I ride over here several times a year.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:12 AM
harfooz
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was on the way home from *buying* the bike. It got dark on me, and I was about 15 miles from the house. A buck jumped into the road in front of me, left to right, and the ABS hauled me down with about. I was thankful to have that extra 10-20 feet of distance that the ABS gave me.

'fooz

Old 11-07-2011, 07:27 AM
kc347
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ABS only way to ride.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:36 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its cheap insurance! With more and more drivers distracted on the road by cell phones and texting, Why wouldn't one ride with an extra measure of safety. ABS has saved my bacon on two occasions, and I wouldn't ride here in the Northeast without it.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Glad you are ok and welcome to the club! I've lusted for a new glide with ABS since 08. Finally got an 11' SG with it. There is no way I'd ever go back to dealing with a glide that locks up the rear. While I did not go down ( thank God) my old 89 got sideways on me several times running in NYC traffic over the years and it sucked every single time. The extra level of control with the Brembos and ABS is been worth every single penny.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:11 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

I live ndar HW66 in central Oklahoma and we have a lot of deer in the area. I get a little nervous riding early morning and evenings, which is a big reason I traded my 02 RKC for a 09 SG with ABS. I haven't needed it for deer yet, but it came in handy a few weeks ago when a car backed out of the driveway right in front of me.

Beary

Quick Reply: Changed Opinion on Anti-Lock Brakes