Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modification Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:40 AM
BigMike43
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modification Help!

I recently bought my SG, I want to add an exhaust i have only heard the vh slipon exhaust and I wasnt that impressed with it. My dealership let me her a sg they had just finished with vh headers and rinehart mufflers with stage1 setup. It sounded very good. My question is what are some of the things I should be asking my dealership in regards to the performance with these ugrades if any will I get out of it. Also does anyone out there have any other slipon exhaust they might recommend that sound a little louder.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike43
I recently bought my SG, I want to add an exhaust i have only heard the vh slipon exhaust and I wasnt that impressed with it. My dealership let me her a sg they had just finished with vh headers and rinehart mufflers with stage1 setup. It sounded very good. My question is what are some of the things I should be asking my dealership in regards to the performance with these ugrades if any will I get out of it. Also does anyone out there have any other slipon exhaust they might recommend that sound a little louder.
Oh, you will get a lot of recommendations here, that's for sure My suggestion is do your research as far as performance, the web is your friend. The best exhaust, of course, is whatever one a person has on their particular motorcycle, it has to be, right? You will hear every brand and reasons why. Many of them perform very well and sound is purely subjective. Me, personally, I would steer you to FuelMoto, http://www.fuelmotousa.com/ , the products are excellent and the customer service is second to none. You will hear a lot about them on here and it will all be good, many very happy customers. Good luck!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:19 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are looking for louder than Rineharts, then look into CFR's. To me they are the best sounding mufflers out there. I would also agree with V&H headers. I have the dresser duals with my Rineharts and love the sound.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Say goodbye to your radio

Old 11-04-2011, 12:32 PM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its goin to depend on whether or not you have a CAT in your header. If its a new bike with a CAT, slip ons arent going to get you a serious increase in sound or power. An empty headpipe with your stock mufflers would be better than aftermarket slip ons behind a Catalytic Converter. If its new and has a CAT, look into buying headpipes, or removing the CAT.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:13 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

take your time, go to bike nights or anywhere bikes are--- take the time to define what you want to do if you hear a sound you like ask the owner what he has.

and what you hear will depend on if you wear a helmet or not

Loud does not mean fast- loud can be tiring if you ride for more than 30 minutes at a time ( some don't)--- and really doesn't work if you like the idea of riding to Sturgis.

so take your time.

it'll save you money.

Mike

Old 11-04-2011, 01:25 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
Say goodbye to your radio
Say hello to your new amplifier and speakers, and save a spot on your shelf for them loud pipes.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:33 PM
BigMike43
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I should have added that. I still want to be able to hear my radio while on rides. So i Guess maybe I should go with the rinehart slip ons.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:47 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

again, the best result will come with time--- and rather than blow $600 on pipes you can start off cheaper if you need immediate change.

the classifieds forum here is a good place for deals.

here's my take on it:

a stock bike can gain 7 to 10 horsepower by switching to a more open intake and exhaust system.

The popular open air cleaners are the screaming eagle and the Ness Big Sucker ( which I prefer, it is less expensive and an easier, tidier install--I paid $115 shipped for mine.

slip ons do not have much effect with the catalytic convertor in the head pipes. some riders remove them- so maybe $100, there is a tutorial here search for it--- or replace the header pipe system, $400-$600 maybe.

then the chosen slip on mufflers go on ( or some riders are happy with the stock mufflers once the cat is removed).

( I use mufflers which have exceptional flow and power characteristics, at sound levels slightly louder than stock, with all the tinny high frequencies damped---- they are expensive, but can be found for a value in time)

a tuning device may be required to compensate for the increased flow- many riders find they do not need to compensate, some use programmable tuners piggy backed with the factory ECM, some "flash" the ECM, I use the $125 nightrider.com XIEDS.

Virtually ALL of these will nullify your warranty--- and if the dealer says "not if we do the work" get that in writing as your dealer is not Harley-Davidson, and cannot make statements altering the terms of the Factory Warranty.. if they mean it they'll write it down-- and some dealers do stand behind their statements, other do not. and there are threads here where riders had trouble with a factory warranty claim due to mods especially the tuner

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-04-2011 at 01:50 PM.