Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M speaker distortion

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:07 AM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default J&M speaker distortion

I installed a set of 7.25" J&M speakers this summer, no amp, the automatic gain with speed function turned off, bass/treble set mid level or just below and I seem to be getting distortion with heavier bass songs like some painters, disturbed, etc. are the speakers junk already. I'm wondering if they would even hold up to an amp!

Old 11-04-2011, 10:15 AM
ssmith579
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the speakers without an amp for a few days. While I really didn't notice distortion they were only a bit better than the stock. After I added the amp they really tightened up. You'll never really get good bass while riding but now the midrange will rattle my teeth. At full volume you can't hear yourself think and no distortion.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:17 AM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not the speakers that are distorting. It's your head unit. I have J&M 7.25 speakers in my Glide with the HD Boom amp and they show no distortion until I really overdrive them.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a lack of power that is causing the problem. Your head unit just ain't got the power required to control the speakers properly. Add an amp and they will sound alot better.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Zimbob
It's a lack of power that is causing the problem. Your head unit just ain't got the power required to control the speakers properly. Add an amp and they will sound alot better.
For those of you that have these (7.5" J&M's), do you like them and would you recommend them? I am looking at upgrading my EC with these and a 250w amp.

I was at J&M's vender booth at the Lone Star Rally yesterday and the sales dude wanted a Grand for the two speakers and amp installed. I laughed in his face.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Sounds like he was selling the Rokker series there. I would like to believe they sound great,but if you do a search on here about J&M. What you'll find is a lot dissatisfied people that bought into the hype. I know some are happy,but it's quite a few that aren't.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:40 PM
ssmith579
Tourer

I researched this quite a bit and was not able to find much if any complaints about the Rokker series. They are a bit more expensive than some of the other solutions but I just spent $28K on the bike and am not gonna skimp on a couple hundred bucks. I don't think you can beat the sound of the stereo now.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:53 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

didn't mean to offend anyone here at the Lone Star Rally ,,,,,

good equipment costs money ,,, and the ROKKER series speakers and amplifiers are no exception ,,,,

been all around the rally circuit this year, installing the ROKKER series components in HUNDREDS of Harleys, ((117 at the Sturgis rally alone)) ,,,,

have not really heard anything better than these http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=45 ,,,,,

had a guy come by at the Milwaukee rally with a $4,000.00 system, and he did have a little more volume available but was not near as clear as the ROKKER stuff ,,,,,,,,

Old 11-06-2011, 07:57 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had J&M's 7.25's in my 09 when I traded it. I hated them so bad that I left them in. They sucked!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Grizcat68
Advanced

I have to pipe in here and say that I have run the Rokker's and amp for a season now and am completely impressed with the setup. I cannot imagine the need for any more of a system. I've run 80mph with fullface RF-1100 on and can hear the music just pretty clear. Source of music makes a lot of difference in sound quality. Cd's are best. Everyone that hears it when I crank it up always go Holly sh*t! Where can I buy that system. One guy that was next to me at a rally had the Boom system and cranked it up, I turned mine up and he just bowed saying "I'm not worthy"! Not sure if he just had speakers, or if there was a amp, but we had a good laugh Totally recommend the Rokkers!

Quick Reply: J&M speaker distortion