Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Road King at the Racetrack. Love these pics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:30 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Were you getting bagger wobble or head shake? I've had minor head shake once or twice on mine. I don't think there is any way to fix it besides installing a steering damper.

Great pics. We have to run with the lights taped over on tracks here in the US. I've thought about taking my RK out for a track day, but like most others I've chickened out. Your pics and writeup sound like a blast! Not shocked at all you were able to kill a rear tire in one weekend.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Whippet
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Great write up KingKingKing, you must be mad!

Have you considered changing your swinging arm pivot bolt and spacers to the 2011 spec to try to fix the wobble? Harley claims it adds a lot of stiffness to the 09+ frame. See 2010 swing arm bolts are chrome while the 2011 are black ( and presumably stronger ). I was following mates on VFR's and BMW K1300's down country roads on Sunday and she definitely wobbled a bit being thrown into corners at 80.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:40 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No insurances, no limits. Its all up to you. Put her down and its gonna be painful and expensive!

Old 11-04-2011, 04:43 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by blusmbl
Were you getting bagger wobble or head shake? I've had minor head shake once or twice on mine. I don't think there is any way to fix it besides installing a steering damper.
Head shake tends to be high frequency.

Bagger wobble is low frequency wallowing, a very different feeling. Feels like there is a hinge under the seat.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:24 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet.
I was thinking about taking my bike to the track to work on the tune, It would be much safer than pulling 120 on the streets, make a lap tune go out for another lap and so on.
I also received a speeding ticket this past summer. I Got pulled over 72 in a 45 I was paying to much attention to the air/fuel ratio gauge and the tach. Luckily the police officer gave me only 10 over.
I was also thinking someone there may have some tuning knowledge at the track.
What are you trying to run your air/fuel ratios at? I'm shooting for 13.2-13.5 from idle to say 3,000rpms then I'm poring the juice to it and 11.8 to redline or bust. I was checking out your twinscan2+ and that seems like it should be fairly easy to use. I really like it a;most more than my LM2 the only thing I can use the LM2 on any vehicle

How much was it to run your bike on both tracks for the day?

Old 11-04-2011, 05:29 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master

Looks like fun, even on a Road King.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:29 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BadBagger08
Sweet.
I was thinking about taking my bike to the track to work on the tune, It would be much safer than pulling 120 on the streets, make a lap tune go out for another lap and so on.
I also received a speeding ticket this past summer. I Got pulled over 72 in a 45 I was paying to much attention to the air/fuel ratio gauge and the tach. Luckily the police officer gave me only 10 over.
I was also thinking someone there may have some tuning knowledge at the track.
What are you trying to run your air/fuel ratios at? I'm shooting for 13.2-13.5 from idle to say 3,000rpms then I'm poring the juice to it and 11.8 to redline or bust. I was checking out your twinscan2+ and that seems like it should be fairly easy to use. I really like it a;most more than my LM2 the only thing I can use the LM2 on any vehicle

How much was it to run your bike on both tracks for the day?
The Drags are Wednesday night at WSID which is near the race track but a seperate company. Its $50 for as many runs as you can do (I did 8). for the $50 you get all the pro timing gear, fire marshalls and paramedics on stand by.

Eastern Creek Race Day costs $175. You must have full leathers to ride, I dont have them but they hire them out for $75. So its $250 for the day.

That probably sounds like a lot, but for Australia its good value. Everything costs more here compared to the US, we are paying $6.05 for a gallon of premium.

Above 4000 my AFR is targetting 12.5. But I am having trouble fuelling this motor enough. I have the ci's set to 160 cubes, and the VE is maxing out 4500. I might need to pull the AFRs back in the AFR table to get more in.

Last edited by kingkingking; 11-04-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:33 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Oh, 72mph in a 40mph zone would see you fined $1950 and loose your licence for at least a year here in Australia.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:51 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are awesome pics! Looks like a lot of fun!

Old 11-04-2011, 06:35 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You think you need bigger injectors? I put 5.6gph in so I could max out around 150 and still be at about 85% on injectors. Sounds like the Twinsacan2 and the SERT give out plenty of info. Way more than what I'm working with.
So in the straights how did ya keep up with the crotch rockets? Their speeds in and out of the corners is any reason why you wouldn't keep up. I spanked a 600 Kaw a few weeks ago. don't think the kid thought the old geezer bike had it in it. when I shut it off at 120 the kid was just redlining his bike to trying and keep up.
How long was the straight away between turns 12 and turn 1? that's were you hit the nearly 130 right?

And I think I got 2 of those tickets this summer along with a no parking zone. 2 of which weer by the same PO

Last edited by BadBagger08; 11-04-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: My Road King at the Racetrack. Love these pics.