Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change, removed wrong plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Black Gator " hit the nail on the head" I do the same.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:37 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 996 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
That's the plug I use to 'Scavenge' when I do my oil change. It flushes the 28 or so ounces that normally stays in the sump. Its the place many put the temp sensor.
Tucci, are you talking about the plug in the bottom of the engine crankcase? If you are getting 28 oz. of oil out of that you have a problem. That would indicate that you are sumping. At least I think that is true. When I check for sumping I shut the engine down at 4000 rpm, pull over if on the road, and pull that plug. Usually less than 3-4 oz. of oil come out. I haven't tried it when the engine has set for a while and the oil has drained down. The plug on the bottom of the engine cases actually does have a torque value of 120 - 144 in/lbs. and it is NPT. The OP pulled the plug right next to the drain plug on the oil pan, which could be what you are referring to. I have an oil temperature sender installed in that hole. I don't see where pulling that plug would garner 28 additional oz. of oil, but in researching this I do see a problem in my oil changing technique. I usually drain the oil with the bike on the side stand because the drain plug is on that side of the oil pan. By doing this I am allowing the baffles in the oil pan to trap a significant amount of oil. I am going to try elevating the rear of the bike while keeping it perpendicular, that should allow the oil to drain past the baffles and get to the drain plug. Looking at the oil pan on page 3-11 of the '09 service manual there are quite a few obstructions that would keep the oil from draining completely.

Last edited by $tonecold; 04-18-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:50 AM
turnerbend
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
For those who may not know, there is a torque value chart at the beginning of every chapter for all fasteners covered in that chapter of the service manual.
I knew that but had forgot. Thanks for the reminder. Good info......