Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Front Suspension for the Money

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Ricor Shocks
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hopperop
I checked into the Ricor Intimidators, when I called they couldn't really say what the difference was between installing them for a couple hundred bucks and just putting heavier oil in the forks for a few bucks. He made it clear they will reduce the dive when you hit the brakes, not necessarily a better ride. Heavier oil does that.
I don't remember talking with you but all the customer service calls go through me. I apologize if I didn't explain how they work correctly. Under brake dive they feel like they have a 20w oil but when you hit a bump they feel like they have a 5w oil because the inertia valve opens. It is because of the inertia valve that we can give you a stiff chassis response and a fast wheel response. So you can have a stable and comfortable ride at the same time.

Brian

Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JayRossi
Did the -2" impact the quality of your ride?
Any lowering will impact the quality of ride under certain conditions. You are cutting the stroke about in half. With that said mine is lowered 1" w/ Race Tech and I'm happy with it, but I'm glad I didn't go 2". That's my take, but everybody has different expectations and goals and that's what makes comparing notes so interesting.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:31 PM
hopperop
Banned

Originally Posted by Ricor Shocks
I don't remember talking with you but all the customer service calls go through me. I apologize if I didn't explain how they work correctly. Under brake dive they feel like they have a 20w oil but when you hit a bump they feel like they have a 5w oil because the inertia valve opens. It is because of the inertia valve that we can give you a stiff chassis response and a fast wheel response. So you can have a stable and comfortable ride at the same time.

Brian

Thank you Brian. That was professional, clear and informative and puts a little rationality back into this thread.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:19 PM
scottdoege
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Question... on lowering!

I weigh 230 lbs and sometimes ride two up with my wife that is 125lbs. Currently I am running stock wheels and stock air shocks on my 07 Ultra. Should I lower the front end by 1" with the new springs just in case I some day upgrade my front wheel to something bigger and/or lower my back end?

I think I am going to go with the Race tech springs. I went to their web sight and input my weight and they recommended the 1.0kg spring rate. That appears to be their largest spring. How will the ride be affected when my wife is on the back? Should I be looking at a different spring?

Keep the answers coming, I am learning tons (and spending money at the same time)

Scott

Old 11-04-2011, 04:51 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by scottdoege
I weigh 230 lbs and sometimes ride two up with my wife that is 125lbs. Currently I am running stock wheels and stock air shocks on my 07 Ultra. Should I lower the front end by 1" with the new springs just in case I some day upgrade my front wheel to something bigger and/or lower my back end?

I think I am going to go with the Race tech springs. I went to their web sight and input my weight and they recommended the 1.0kg spring rate. That appears to be their largest spring. How will the ride be affected when my wife is on the back? Should I be looking at a different spring?

Keep the answers coming, I am learning tons (and spending money at the same time)

Scott
Scott,
I also wiegh 230lbs and my wife 124.9lbs. I have an 01 Ultra (in sig) that I put the Race Tech gold valves in (Indy) and I lowered it 1". I did that because I upgraded the rear shocks to Ohlins and they are 12 1/8" in length vs the stock 13" and my bike sits and rides better then expected. I just got back 2 weeks ago from a 4 day ride about 1,300mi. I rode 2-up and loaded with about 50lbs+ of gear (I didn't wiegh it). My concern was how the 1" lowering was going to perform, but it was great! At least 5 times better than stock, but with that said I'm glad I didn't go 2" down loaded like that. So I have no regrets and I'm happy that I got this mod right on the first go around. Good Luck brotha!

Old 11-04-2011, 05:15 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
Scott,
I also wiegh 230lbs and my wife 124.9lbs. I have an 01 Ultra (in sig) that I put the Race Tech gold valves in (Indy) and I lowered it 1". I did that because I upgraded the rear shocks to Ohlins and they are 12 1/8" in length vs the stock 13" and my bike sits and rides better then expected. I just got back 2 weeks ago from a 4 day ride about 1,300mi. I rode 2-up and loaded with about 50lbs+ of gear (I didn't wiegh it). My concern was how the 1" lowering was going to perform, but it was great! At least 5 times better than stock, but with that said I'm glad I didn't go 2" down loaded like that. So I have no regrets and I'm happy that I got this mod right on the first go around. Good Luck brotha!
Did you get the kit that Race Tech sells for around $250 (gold valve and springs)? I am strongly looking at that kit for me as well. Same boat. Want to lower my bike 1" and going to Ohlins in the rear. Looking for a fork kit that will compliment the shocks. I would be having my dealer put them in as my front end is getting a MAJOR overhaul this winter while in storage. Will a regular dealer have the ability to put them in?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hougz79
Did you get the kit that Race Tech sells for around $250 (gold valve and springs)? I am strongly looking at that kit for me as well. Same boat. Want to lower my bike 1" and going to Ohlins in the rear. Looking for a fork kit that will compliment the shocks. I would be having my dealer put them in as my front end is getting a MAJOR overhaul this winter while in storage. Will a regular dealer have the ability to put them in?
Yes, the $250 Kit w/ gold valve emulaters and springs. I was going to tackle it myself, but I was headed on a road trip about a week after I got them. I wasen't confident enough to think I could get it right the first time before my ride. My Indy is pretty good and has done quite a few of these, so I let him do it. I believe I coulda done it myself If I didn't feel rushed for my trip and had time to experience the install. Don't know if HD does these or not.

I can tell you this, my frontend improved enough that it made the rear stock shocks seem like they were bricks. Then when I put the Ohlins on the rear it was like getting a new bike! The rear performs better than the front now. On a scale of 1-10; my stock suspension front was a 3 and is now a 7. Rear was a 3 and is now a 8.5 IMO.

My next and final front end suspension up grade will be these in maybe a year when I sell my leg.
http://www.traxxion.com/ak-20axxioncartridgekit.aspx about $1,200+, I don't know anyone who has these that could tell me an experiences with them yet.

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 11-04-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:41 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 571 Likes on 398 Posts

My '12 RK is virtually stock.I don't have enough ground clearance while cornering now.No way would i lower it.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:06 AM
sailnbike
Advanced
Default Race Tech

I installed Race Tech springs and valves and what a difference. Strongly recommend them. I have ordered Ohlins shocks as I now see hope for the Harley suspension, instead of selling the bike. Make sure that you have 6 holes 5/16" in your damper tubes and drill more if not per the directions from Race Tech. I tried Intiminators and they removed the shock when hitting bumps but I did not like the feel with the 5 wt oil they recommend as it altered the rebound damping.