Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY easily add HP/Tq with a Stage 1 air cleaner Fuel Moto

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:50 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts
Default DIY easily add HP/Tq with a Stage 1 air cleaner Fuel Moto

While it can seem pretty basic, we answer a wide range of questions on air cleaners everyday and what you can expect with a Stage 1 compared to stock so we though we would start a thread. As most of you know, one of the easiest and many times the first modification to any Harley is replacing the air cleaner which is a quick and easy way to free up some performance at a very reasonable cost. In fact in most cases it is one of the best HP per dollar modifications you can make. It is not that the factory air cleaner is bad from a quality standpoint, rather that there are several key design objectives for the design of the factory AC components which must be taken into consideration, the most important being the mandates required by the EPA and that it is designed to work with the stock components.

We will start with taking a look at the factory air cleaner. Even with the cover in place it is pretty easy to notice it is very restrictive. The chrome cover is sealed to the plastic backing plate which breaths from the three small 1 1/2" X 7/8" vents in the front lower corner, this is not only restrictive it also draws hot air right from the front cylinder fins. The element itself use a synthetic media and is less than an inch deep.

Here you can see where the stock AC takes in air

Here is a look at the stock element, note that the element media is about an inch wide

We will continue this thread with more information along with a step by step install of a Stage 1 air cleaner along with its benefits. Stay tuned.......

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 11-01-2011, 05:36 PM
hyperfocal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the infor. Just what I need,

Hyper

Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 PM
nightranger
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thnks jamie

this could be a good tool.i would like to se some dynos done with all the acs you carry on the same bike.just to see which one does what and where.that would be great.i have a se stg 1 with factory cover now.but have been thinking about k&n heavy.i would love to see what it would do for me.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:38 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

SE Stage 1 air cleaner a down load and Python slip on muffler with some dyno time is the
best money I put into my bike. I am glad to see someone from the aftermarket stepping
up in the forum to give insight on what it is all about, and what each modification will
help in the way to build usable power.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:04 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Don't stop now, I was just getting interested!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:28 PM
01Byte
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Are there going to be any pictures of topless "assistants"?

Cause you know... you can't replace the air filter without looking at a boobie or two.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:31 AM
electradad
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Byte
Are there going to be any pictures of topless "assistants"?

Cause you know... you can't replace the air filter without looking at a boobie or two.
Yea.... What he said!

Old 11-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Leave it to fuel moto to start a thread basically answering every possible question about stage 1. Now if we could just get newbs to use the big bar up top called search.........MODS............STICKY........ might save a bit of time and a whole lot of smart assed remarks from veteran riders towards the newbs

Old 11-02-2011, 02:01 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Leave it to fuel moto to start a thread basically answering every possible question about stage 1. Now if we could just get newbs to use the big bar up top called search.........MODS............STICKY........ might save a bit of time and a whole lot of smart assed remarks from veteran riders towards the newbs n thanks jamie

Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Thanks Jamie
I put on the stage 1 from Fuel Moto in June and love the way my bike runs, much cooler sounds better and when I twist the handle she responds.
+10 for FM

Quick Reply: DIY easily add HP/Tq with a Stage 1 air cleaner Fuel Moto