Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clattering in '07 touring models

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 08:21 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Clattering in '07 touring models

This is a follow-up to the thread "'07 Tranny Probs?" My one-week-old SG rattles a bit when hot in 5th and 6th gears between 2000 and 2500 rpms, like many owners of '07 touring models have observed.

I spoke with a HD tech rep yesterday and he said the noise was normal and that the origin was the compensator. Not only is the engine and tranny new, but some other drive-train components are as well, including the compensator. He said that it was a result of this new part and the longer stroke of the new TC96, and that it would in no way harm the bike.

I'll be watching for further development, but I will hold him and Moco responsible if any damage results. I actually feel okay about it, because on my bike the noise is not loud.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:48 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Clattering in '07 touring models

My rep said the same thing and even dynoed a showroom demo 07 to prove the noise.Wish he wouldve dynoed a later 07 release but that wasnt available at the time.My bike has it and have ridden 07s that havent.This is riding the same exact way.I can ride mine around town,stop and go with no or very little noise.Take it 20 miles on hwy reguardless of outside temps and its a different bird.The rep rode mine for 2hrs but not extended hwy speeds and the noise was minimal.This new download made mine worse in 60 degree weather,I can only image what it will do next summer.I have heard mine on dyno and can make it do evrytime if bike has come off hwy.Its in the top end but could be coming from comp and echoing to that area.The factory knows of this,the delers do,the reps do.If you can live with good,I can not esp if its more than detonation.I can make mine make the noise above the 2500rpm range,which is above lugging if HD wants to keep pushing that line of bull.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

well if the download made it change ANY....it aint the compensating nut....its detonation....roll into it easy til it stops to lessen the clatter, or keep it above the clatterin rpms

Old 11-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

im sooooooooooo glad that i have an 06 at this point. the tried and true 88/5 is perfect (for me)..... ive said it before and ill say it again- i would be PISSED if my brand new bike makes strange noises.

good luck to you guys.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:25 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Bryan, I don't think it is detonation, at least in my case. Mine is more prominent at low load cruising, and decreases as the throttle is slowly increased. It also doesn't sound like detonation, which should increase with more throttle input.
If it is the compensator, I would think they need to redesign it again.