Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer screwed up my brake light switch recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:10 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Replacing it is the right thing to do, however the "flaw" should have been identified befor sending the customer down the road, a QA/QC inspection folowing a cleaning and test drive after the switch replacement and bleeding proceedure would have revealed the leak. He didn't drive it in leaking, the tech overtightened the bleeder. Bottom line they did a half assed job, you always verify the integrity of the repair when you work on a vital system such as brakes. When you pay a premium dealership labor rate, there is a certain expectation of a professional maintenance service to go along with it. I agree a controlled substitution would also be the right the thing to do, to get him back on the road after they screwed up, nothin personal just the way it goes in the maintenance world.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIN CAM 96
If the brake fluid got on your bag you might have them replace that to in a short time the brake fluid will eat the paint off your bag!
I've seen that happen on metal. the paint bubbled right before my eyes!

So you'll know if there's damage. Make sure to clean all the residual fluid off of everything. I wonder if they warped the cap by overtightening it.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

If the brake fluid got on your bag you might have them replace that to in a short time the brake fluid will eat the paint off your bag!
That's why I plan to have my bag ( hard bag) off when I take it in. The bleed nipple is directly behind it and there's too much that can happen to those bags once their off the bike. They are top heavy and if not stored properly can tip over onto the floor......too much can go wrong.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 AM
husky
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always do my own maintenance, tires, accessories and oils. I was a little apprehensive about taking it in, should have waited for it to fail (isn't very likely with cat removed) and listened to my gut.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
The brakes have to be bled to replace the switch?
Anytime you "open" the system it needs bled.

Forget about it, paint is considered cosmetic, I've already played a round of nerd bingo with the factory reps regarding improperly cleaned brake fluid that ate all the paint off my control housing after the dealer did my my 5k service. F**K dealership maintenance.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems to be several posts where the dealer has screwed up the brake switch recall fix. I think i'll just wait until Spring to take mine in and maybe they can get it right by then.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:52 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think it's the tech's fault the bleeder is bad. If he knew it he would not put the bike on the road. Stuff goes bad for whatever reason. Give them a break at least they are replacing the parts.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:55 AM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beary
The brakes have to be bled to replace the switch?
It is my understanding, and I may be wrong on this, but the recall is to relocate the control wire that leads to the switch from the brake light. This is due to the wire being too close to the exhaust, and threrfore, the wire gets too hot.
A clarification would be much appreciated because I dropped the RG off yesterday to have the recall work (whatever it is) done.
So, why are they bleeding your brakes if the switch, or the wire, or the tail-light are affected?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 AM
A Seabee
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
So the guy who buys that bike now pays for a new bike that has been worked on & parts pulled off of. Hmmmmmm?
They will probably order a new one and put it on the new bike. hopefully they can do that without screwing it up

Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
Seems to be several posts where the dealer has screwed up the brake switch recall fix. I think i'll just wait until Spring to take mine in and maybe they can get it right by then.
I am with you. I think I will wait a little while. I called the dealer and they said it's a problem from the heat and the cat. When I mentioned I did not have the cat, they said it probably wont be a problem with the switch, but it will show as an open recall not fixed on the bike.

Quick Reply: Dealer screwed up my brake light switch recall