Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another story: Harley does not care about quality or customer satisfaction.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 02:50 PM
Digger53
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Another story: Harley does not care about quality or customer satisfaction.

After a call into Harley Davidson customer service today, all I can say is they sure seem to NOT care about their customers or quality for the most part. I called to see what they can do about the Y-Pipe on my 2007 UC that seems to only last about 40K miles. I will be installing the 4th one now. At first the rep seemed to be somewhat interested and almost concerned. (Wrong) She suggested maybe it could be the "dealers" fault not installing it correctly. Told her 1st one was from the factory and the other two were replaced at different shops. So that would mean all 3 of them did it wrong? I asked. Then I started to catch on what she was trying to do, was put the blame on me, the owner of the bike. Once I told her the UC was stock and yes I had the bike serviced every 5K miles with records to back it up she came back with. "The company is taking the position that this part can break at anytime and they are not able to help me" She refused to let me talk to anyone else on this matter and told me I need to work it out with a dealer. I reminded her that the Y-Pipe is not a "Wear" item and that I still have the original OEM front brakes pads on my UC with 155K miles on it, but I'm going on the 4th Y-Pipe. One of my last statements to her was, I paid 20K+ for the bike, have had all my service done by a dealer, with no fault of mine this part won't last and with that HD can't help me out.? Her answer to all that was "NO". Of course when I asked what I could do on my behalf to make this part last longer, she had nothing to say! I just can't believe Harley Davidson has a part that is NOT a wear item that only last maybe 40K miles, on my bike. They know this is a poor design and refuse to take responsibility for it.

Digger
Camas, WA
2007 UC

Old 10-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How was your attitude on the phone? You know the saying - ya catch more flies with honey than vinegar (or something like that)...

I blew it on a customer service call with Chrysler. I wasn't being mean, just a bit rude. I was denied as well on my issue.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Digger53
Cruiser

I was cool and calm...never raised my voice or even got rude. Was trying extra hard in being nice and not saying anything that could be taken as being aggressive. Even when she said they could not help me...I just said really and I was surprised with that answer.

Digger
Camas, WA

Originally Posted by Jags93
How was your attitude on the phone? You know the saying - ya catch more flies with honey than vinegar (or something like that)...

I blew it on a customer service call with Chrysler. I wasn't being mean, just a bit rude. I was denied as well on my issue.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Dreamer1Q
Intermediate

We have a local Stealership around Nashville that this reminds me of. Yet at the same time, imagine how many times they have been asked that same question without the support of the factory itself! Has to be frustrating for both parties.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:15 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Digger53
After a call into Harley Davidson customer service today, all I can say is they sure seem to NOT care about their customers or quality for the most part. I called to see what they can do about the Y-Pipe on my 2007 UC that seems to only last about 40K miles. I will be installing the 4th one now. At first the rep seemed to be somewhat interested and almost concerned. (Wrong) She suggested maybe it could be the "dealers" fault not installing it correctly. Told her 1st one was from the factory and the other two were replaced at different shops. So that would mean all 3 of them did it wrong? I asked. Then I started to catch on what she was trying to do, was put the blame on me, the owner of the bike. Once I told her the UC was stock and yes I had the bike serviced every 5K miles with records to back it up she came back with. "The company is taking the position that this part can break at anytime and they are not able to help me" She refused to let me talk to anyone else on this matter and told me I need to work it out with a dealer. I reminded her that the Y-Pipe is not a "Wear" item and that I still have the original OEM front brakes pads on my UC with 155K miles on it, but I'm going on the 4th Y-Pipe. One of my last statements to her was, I paid 20K+ for the bike, have had all my service done by a dealer, with no fault of mine this part won't last and with that HD can't help me out.? Her answer to all that was "NO". Of course when I asked what I could do on my behalf to make this part last longer, she had nothing to say! I just can't believe Harley Davidson has a part that is NOT a wear item that only last maybe 40K miles, on my bike. They know this is a poor design and refuse to take responsibility for it.

Digger
Camas, WA
2007 UC
How would you like them to take responsibility for the issue? Pick up the tab for the first 2 Y pipe replacements and labor? Your bike had a warranty, did that cover the first replacement? You surely had that 1st issue under warranty. They are not going to engineer a Y pipe for an aging 2 year fitment. Maybe you should think about not doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for a different result. If you know HD is not going to cover the new Y pipe, try another fix. You stated it doesn't last more than 40k and yet you keep doing the same thing and paying for it. I am not trying to offend you, just giving a different outlook.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:21 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Were any of the 1st ones changed during the warr period?
If so, it's an on-going warr issue. If not , it really isn't a warr
issue (an 07?) and the Rep would be correct (unless it's a recall)
The stock (lean) cond is causing the heat problem and cracking
the pipe.
Get rid of that Y-pipe anyway. Those are no good. Put dual exh
on it or a 2-1.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:22 PM
HD-4-ever
Cruiser

Maybe try an aftermarket brand, I had a problem with a truck I had and once I went aftermarket I never had it again..

Old 10-31-2011, 04:23 PM
fxstbharley2008
Tourer

Time to install different pipes?
--------------------
Is it just your Harley or
Have you found out if any one else with the same bike has the same problem?
Hope you get it resolved some how................

Old 10-31-2011, 04:24 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

deleted; double post

Last edited by djl; 10-31-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:27 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Until Harley riders are willing to jump ship to Victory or Indian or Triumph, the MoCo will continue to shovel **** at them. Everybody bitches but keeps buying the brand abd the accessories. The MoCo has stockholders, has a board of directors and is bottom line oriented like any other major coroporation; put a dent in sales/profits and that will get their attention.

I have an '02 FLHT I bought used and an '05 FXSTD I bought new; both have upgraded motors and both run great without issues. I keep the fluids change, brakes and tires in good condition and I ride them both hard. I would not buy a new Harley, made that decision when the '07s came out.

I visit a dealership out of curiosity when the new bikes arrive but never spend any money in a local dealership. I do order parts online from Zanotti's though, so I do contribute to the H-D bottom line but at a discount.

I am not ready to jump ship yet but last year I rode both Vic touring models, the Cross Tour and the Cross Country, nice but not nice enough to make me want to give up one of my Harleys. I also rode two Triumphs, the Rocket III and the Thunderbird Storm; both very nice bikes. The R3 is scary fast and both handle better than any Harley I have ever ridden. If/when I do jump ship, it will be for on a Triumph, not a Vic.

Quick Reply: Another story: Harley does not care about quality or customer satisfaction.