Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another story: Harley does not care about quality or customer satisfaction.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Digger53
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
So let me get this straight, you are bitching because you have to spend $50 every 40,000 miles?
Nope.....sorry if that's your take on it. I don't believe I was bitching about spending $50.00 dollars. I was asking for a different option from them in which they couldn't/can't help.

Digger

Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Scout
You are kidding me right? A Y pipe is a stressed part that flexes, and takes all the heat from the rear cylinder of an air cooled motor. It's a service part, just like a clutch or a drive belt.

She treated you well by not laughing when you expected more than 40k out of this part, and actually calling for a new one.

Honestly, what do you guys expect from these bikes? Perfect operation without any repairs that are not to be paid for by Harley?
Scout has a point even though I feel you. After the second Y I would have done something different. When I had the header off I wondered about that bend and how long I could get before it was going to give me trouble. I lay under the bike for awhile looking at it and the conclusion I had was when it gives me trouble I'll have a plate welded over the hole real nice like and make it a single pipe exhaust?
But why stop at the Y pipe, how about the chain adjusters that don't seem to last any longer than what your describing or a half dozen other items that would fit in that mileage category. Here is where some of the other manufacturers have it over the HD's but we stay married to these jewels don't we, why is that and everyone's reason is different. Me, I have not found a bike that looks, makes me feel and is made with an obvious quality like an HD, even with these topics we discuss every day. Hell in the Metric arena it was the valve adjustments, the damn carb's etc etc. That's one of the reasons it's best to have some hands on skill if your going to own one so you can continue to stay married to it and work around the obvious issues. Some bikes are for those who don't want to work on them content to just ride letting the stealerships fix it, but do they really?
So, we work around these PITA problems and continue to ride these bikes don't we. We read this forum being aware of what to look for and how were going to deal with them because for some there is no other bike we'd rather be ridding. I've come a long way to where I am here and all of it has prepared me to ride what I want and fix what needs fixing or know who to take it to if I cant.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:12 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

I'll never buy another new HD either and agree HD does not take care of their loyal customers.

I have a 2009 FLHX/. The rear fender has a dent by the back bolt that secures the seat. There is a service bulletin regarding this issue. When I brought my bike in for repair HD corporates response was because the dent was not visible with the seat on they weren't going to repair it. I mentioned that I rode witha solo seat And it was very visible on my black bike. They could't give a crap.

Then in August my stereo stopped working. Turns how that hd redesigned the heads of the riser bolts because they were running against the stereo. I guess they figured sending out a postcard to let their customers know was too much trouble. So now My stereo needs a $250 repair or replacement.

I agree with OP. I will NEVER buy another new HD and may look at BMW when it's time for anew bike.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Until Harley riders are willing to jump ship to Victory or Indian or Triumph, the MoCo will continue to shovel **** at them. Everybody bitches but keeps buying the brand abd the accessories. The MoCo has stockholders, has a board of directors and is bottom line oriented like any other major coroporation; put a dent in sales/profits and that will get their attention.

I have an '02 FLHT I bought used and an '05 FXSTD I bought new; both have upgraded motors and both run great without issues. I keep the fluids change, brakes and tires in good condition and I ride them both hard. I would not buy a new Harley, made that decision when the '07s came out.

I visit a dealership out of curiosity when the new bikes arrive but never spend any money in a local dealership. I do order parts online from Zanotti's though, so I do contribute to the H-D bottom line but at a discount.

I am not ready to jump ship yet but last year I rode both Vic touring models, the Cross Tour and the Cross Country, nice but not nice enough to make me want to give up one of my Harleys. I also rode two Triumphs, the Rocket III and the Thunderbird Storm; both very nice bikes. The R3 is scary fast and both handle better than any Harley I have ever ridden. If/when I do jump ship, it will be for on a Triumph, not a Vic.
Traded my 08 FXD in on a new Triumph Thunderbird. Built better, rides better, stops better, accelerates better, handles better.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:30 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 533 Posts

when i replaced my y pipe,even the bracket to the trans was heat treated to the point that it crumbled,thats what i get for not puting a tune on it from day one.the 07 in stock form runs to hot.tune it oil cool it and aftermarket headpipe it. it will then run fairly well and parts wont cook till they break.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:47 PM
gwvulcan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the OP was trying to say is he is hard headed. He keeps replacing the same part and expects a different result. His bike is well out of warranty and he never expects parts to wear out. He wants the HD reps to give him different results, like any manufacturer is going to tell you to go buy aftermarket. We all know he should swap to an after market exhaust which will hold up better, but instead he keeps replacing the same part and expects it to last longer. BTW 40k is pretty good, and I am calling BS on the brake pads. So buck up OP I feel your pain, but there are so few of us left on the short bus. RANT ON!

Old 10-31-2011, 08:13 PM
J2X
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Is there an aftermarket part away from HD that is more durable?

Old 10-31-2011, 08:14 PM
Big Daddy 7042
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have still not had a problem with the dealership I work with nor have I had problems with HD. 6 months after I bought the bike both of my rims were flaking, the triple tree's flaked,the primary flaked, and the upper forks flaked. All of them were replaced under warranty.There was a recall on my bike for the head gaskets, my dealership called me and told me to bring it by the next time I was in town and they would take care of it, which they did, and threw in a t-shirt for my troubles. Now I do have a dealership in the town I live in but refuse to do business with them, the one I do business with is 90 miles away. When they did the recall repair on my bike they gave me a rental for the day and called me when my bike was done. I know not all dealerships are the same, but this one has always been good to me. Renegade HD Alexandria, La.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Front motor mount. Replace it. No more y-pipe failures.

Problem solved

Old 10-31-2011, 08:36 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_Compact
I'll never buy another new HD either and agree HD does not take care of their loyal customers.

I have a 2009 FLHX/. The rear fender has a dent by the back bolt that secures the seat. There is a service bulletin regarding this issue. When I brought my bike in for repair HD corporates response was because the dent was not visible with the seat on they weren't going to repair it. I mentioned that I rode witha solo seat And it was very visible on my black bike. They could't give a crap.

Then in August my stereo stopped working. Turns how that hd redesigned the heads of the riser bolts because they were running against the stereo. I guess they figured sending out a postcard to let their customers know was too much trouble. So now My stereo needs a $250 repair or replacement.

I agree with OP. I will NEVER buy another new HD and may look at BMW when it's time for anew bike.
How is an unseen dent, Harley Davison's concern? It is unseen as the bike was sold to you, it would be unseen under the seat, any changes after that are yours to take care of. Now the head unit, that should be a warranty item, no doubt about it, 09 bike and we aren't out of '11 yet.

Quick Reply: Another story: Harley does not care about quality or customer satisfaction.