Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Staying warm, without electric

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:20 AM
Crank1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Staying warm, without electric

Hey folks, I got a 2012 Street Glide and even though it has the accessory port for plugging in electric gear, I'm wondering what y'all wear in the winter to keep warm.

Now, I wear a thick fleece jacket, neck gaiter, carhartt 2 in 1 beanie, and a HD leather jacket. I have no gear for keeping my legs warm.

So with the temps getting down into the low 40's on my rides home, I find myself freezing my *** off, so I'm trying to figure out how to stay warm. Listed above, keeps my face and body fairly warm, I do get a small chill, but for the most part, its tolerable. I am getting my legs and hands frozen tho. I also do not have chaps.

I am wondering what kind of regular riding gear you all have or what mods you've done to your bike to keep you warmer? Please enlighten me, I'm trying to stay on the cheaper side of riding, hence why I'm not popping for the electric suit. Thanks folks

Old 10-31-2011, 04:36 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Check out http://www.airlite.ca/. I love this thing! $100 shipped. Also, get yourself some good leather chaps.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:48 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Under Armour Thermal gear.

Leather over pants keeps the "boys" a lot warmer.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:34 AM
horseplay
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thermal underwear, jeans and chaps, my legs feel no cool air what so ever. Hands I have a pair of military issue wool liners and then I have some medium duty or heavy duty gauntlet gloves. I may end up getting heated gloves though because I do not want my hands cold at all when riding for safety purposes!

Topside I wear a thermal undershort, fleece shirt and leather jacket .For the head I wear a half helmet with a balaclava and I am good to go for the cold weather.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:02 AM
eazyduzzit
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I wear chaps, leather jacket and heated gloves. I have ridden all winter (down to 22 degrees) with this setup. I wear a neck gaiter and have a helmet with ear flaps that I can zip off when it's warm.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:16 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

I moved to AZ last year but before that I lived in Reno NV and rode to and from work( 25 miles each way) on the freeway. I found a snow mobile suit at a Honda dealer on clearance for 80 bucks. I would put that on a high vis jacket over that,silk glove liners and my winter (heavy) gloves, a fleece baclava and helmet, sounds like a lot but I rode every day unless it was raining or snowing. I have ridden with this down to 19 degrees.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

REI heavy long johns & LL Bean lined levis. Then HD Road Warrior Pants. I layer up with REI base layers. HD Road Warrior Jacket. The pants & jacket are 100% water proof. much lighter than leather. I but my boots at uniform store. I have a pair for summer & winter. The winter ones are water proof & insulated.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:47 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, it's all about layering when you don't use electric gear. I use a pair of FirstGear ballistic nylon overpants on top of my jeans; combined with the heat of the motor, that keeps the bottom half warm.

Up top, it's a heavy wool sweater over my shirt, then a ballistic nylon touring jacket from Olympia. Thick insulated gloves, either leather or GoreTex nylon.

A full face helmet keeps my chin and entire head warm.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:48 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Chaps and heated gloves, or at least heated glove liners.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:54 AM
LucyOnBlack
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got chrome grips and have discovered bright red chainsaw gloves with gel pads are awesome for the royal salute when someone pee's me off, comfy with gel pads and toasty on colder days, better than leather gloves. Rode 2 degrees above freezing last ride and my hands were warm.

Quick Reply: Staying warm, without electric