Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Staying warm, without electric

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 07:58 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I start at the bottom, fleece socks, thermal boots, silk long johns, jeans and chaps, silk undershirt, thermal top, fleece jacket, leather jacket, fleece and leather neck scarf, Harley cold weather gloves, fur bomber hat, I ride to work down to about 20 degrees.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:59 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I wear a snowmobile suit, leather insulated gauntlet gloves and a thinsulate balaclava ...underneath the suit just jeans and flannel shirt...I tuck the jeans into my boots and wear the snowsuit on outside of the boots, this works down into the teens...sometimes I will wear harley glove liners inside the gauntlet leather gloves for an extra layer...the snowmobile suit is nice and warm and not bulky at all...The only real problem I have is when I stop I need to open the mask on my FF helmet to keep the face guard from fogging up..

Old 10-31-2011, 08:22 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Just get the electric gear and be absolutely warm and comfortable all winter.
If you ride all winter you'll thank yourself every day for years and years. Why skimp when it comes to your comfort and safety?

I just don't get it, people put on layers and layers of clothes until they look like the Michilin Man and then say they're OK for this or that temperature. I rode for years without electrics, then one day I said why put up with taking all this time putting on all these clothes and then taking an eternity to find Mr. Winky when you have to ****. Now, UnderArmour and normal street clothes with my Gerbing jacket liner and gloves. Like someone else said earlier, they don't really feel the cold below the belt so all I do there is wear chaps. And if it's really cold - a balaklava and a pair of chemical heat pads on my knees and toes. That's it for me in Chicago winters.

After buying electrics, I've never looked back on whether it was worth it or not.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:56 AM
JoeN
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey Crank1

check out Chillhowee motorcycle leathers. They have leather engine guard chaps. Really great quality. I have a brand new set fron my old Roadking, never used. They have black studs and silver conchos wuth braided leather. I can save you at least half if you are interested. I have been saving them, but I can use the cash. Now I have to fing them. They look really cool and are functional

Old 10-31-2011, 08:58 AM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

plus one on the airlite lowers for the bike! Best investment for winter wind I've made.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:07 AM
chidiver
Cruiser

Look into lowers for the crash bars....looks like a canvas baggy that goes over the crash bar and blocks a lot of wind...Around $50 to $60 at guess where.

Also on my 2012 SG I put on the adjustable vents or whatever they're called that go along the outside edge of the fairing. They can be angled in in warm weather/ heavy traffic for more breeze or left closed to deflect more wind. About $75 for those. Same place.

There is also an ash tray(chrome) that fits between the forks under the fairing that some guys have had luck with...doesn't seem to do much on mine tho. About $25. My suggestion is to start with the lowers which fold up very flat and hardly take up any room in the bags so they can be carried..HTH...Larry

Old 10-31-2011, 09:48 AM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently I rode in 30 degree weather. I use thermal underwear, Levi's jeans and HD Road Warrior ballistic nylon over pants. For gloves, I use thin glove liners under my HD Gore-Tex lined leather gauntlets w/heated hand grips. Up top, I layer with thermal long sleeved underwear, T-shirt, Cabela's windproof pullover and First Gear lined ballistic nylon jacket. Further up I run with an insulated "dickie" and a HD balaclava. A half helmet, glasses and visor round out the ensemble. All fairing vents are closed and the recurve windshield helps divert the air flow. Apart from my eyes feeling the chill all is well for an hour or so before I begin to get a headache. I also throw a sheepskin cover over my seat to keep the bottom side warm.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:08 AM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Riding in the cold

I haven't worn my leather jacket since getting my heated jacket liner. The thought of having to layer up like a kid with my first snow suit doesn't appeal to me anymore. I very comfortable and I can still move. We have ridden in the 20's and were good. I wear heated gloves too. It's the best riding investment I have made. I can dial it down or up and like I said no more heavy outer jacket.
I wear thinsulate lined jeans. Sometimes some long underwear but that's it. When my core is kept warm it goes along way in keeping the rest of the body warm. Heated gear is the only way to go to extend your riding season, comfort, and the ability to control your temperature if needed.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:52 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

Leather and layered clothing: Heavy Fox Creek jacket, chaps, and a face mask. I ride down into the upper 20's and am fine. The only thing I need is better gloves because mine are only good for about 40 minutes in sub freezing temps. Normally in that weather I am only riding to work so anything around 45 minutes or less I can live with.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:00 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Depends on length of ride and where you live and ride.
When it drops down below 45 or so, I wear my tour master overpants (so far have never used the liner and they are water proof), my HD riding boots and my Vega riding jacket along with a full-face helmet and a neck gator. Will be upgrading my jacket this year to a non-mesh type and will be getting a better pair of gloves. Above 45 and for short rides (30 miles or less), I don't bother with the overpants and use the leathers.
I think the electric stuff might a little over-kill here in Central Texas, but if I were planning a longer ride, might consider them.

Quick Reply: Staying warm, without electric