Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the Pressure to make MODS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011 | 02:21 PM
jbkrab
|
Tourer
Default Why the Pressure to make MODS?

Ever since March of 2000 when I got my first 7.3L diesel truck (which I still have), I have been pressured by many friends and acquaintances to mod my truck. Now that I have this 2011 Electra Glide Limited, I'm getting the same pressure from people to mod my bike, make that PERFORMANCE mods not COMFORT mods.

I understand the desire for more speed, horsepower and sound. I get that, but if I want speed, I don't think I would have bought my EG Limited, I would have bought a Hyabusa or some other crotch rocket (which I am deathly afraid of anyway!). I'm a middle aged guy who just wants to ride in comfort and luxury. I still have my Yamaha cruiser that is a lot lighter and much faster if I have the need for some additional speed.

"Boys and their toys" I get that. But if I just spent $27K+ on a bike and now an additional several thousand or more makes me want to just go find a custom builder and have a custom bike made just for me. Than I truly would have a one of a kind bike that's all mine!

Glad I got that off my chest! Thanks for the opportunity for the rant. I feel much better. Please don't think I'm knocking anyone for their mods. I really like a lot of them, just not my style. To all my friends and co-workers, I appreciate your concern and ability to try to make me spend more of my money. But please let me enjoy my toy my way for now and maybe one day, I'll join the crowd for all those mods.

Last edited by jbkrab; 10-31-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Clearification
Old 10-30-2011 | 02:26 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

I can't afford a ton of mods right now. And to be honest, I won't let it sit still long enough to make very many mods. The mods I have now were done by the dealer while it was being serviced. So install was free. Otherwise, I'm out riding. I brought it home on 8/23/11, and have over 4,800 miles on it.

Old 10-30-2011 | 02:26 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jbkrab
Why the Pressure to make MODS?
Agree 100% All they do is delete threads, lock threads and not allow you to say words like ****, etc.

Hahaha, in all seriousness, it's your bike do what you want with it. Many, many people are happy with stock

Old 10-30-2011 | 02:30 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
in all seriousness, it's your bike do what you want with it. Many, many people are happy with stock
And other just can't keep their bikes off the table lift.

Old 10-30-2011 | 02:37 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by soos
And other just can't keep their bikes off the table lift.
Watch it buddy, I've nothing planned for this winter. Simply going to park it and leave it until next year.

Old 10-30-2011 | 02:44 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member

When it comes to performance, I figure it's better to have and not need than the other way around. I plan on modifying my engine, not to race, but just to have decent performance, if it would've came with 100hp/100tq from the factory, I doubt if I would do anything besides a few cosmetic touches.

Old 10-30-2011 | 02:51 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

You might be misinterpreting their zeal for mods. Many folks perform mods to customize their bike the way they like it. There are all kinds of mods...engine, body, suspension, wheels, lights, a whole bunch of mod directions you can go. But most appear to focus on engine/performance mods.

It's all relative of course as far as engine mods go. The dollars spent per hp/torque ratio is usually quite large for the product you get. But, getting a few more horses and pounds of pull plus a different sound is important to some.

I believe that many of the more "mature" riders (myself included) may be slightly interested in performance mods, but far more interested in rider comfort, passenger comfort, non-obnoxious sound, better handling, and dependability. We like to keep it simple.

Ride your bike the way you want it to be. This is supposed to be fun, so when your friends start their jabbering on what they did and how much it improved things, well, what do you expect them to say? Don't expect to hear "I spent $1700 and I cant tell much difference"?

As you stated, there are plenty of Jap, German, and Italian bikes that will outperform an HD right out of the crate...at half or less of the cost. But the problem with those bikes is simple....they have no soul.

So connect with the soul of your bike and enjoy the ride. Getting there faster has never been the answer for a touring motorcyclist. It's all about the journey.

Old 10-30-2011 | 02:59 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

some mods are for comfort- seat, bars etc.

some are for "performance" and I suggest a stage 1 is nice way to get some inexpensive power and stay reliable.

"performance" upgrades beyond that I stay away from- i keep my bikes a long time-

stuff for appearance I don't much have interest in- each dollar I save on one bike is $1 closer to another ( not next) bike.

I feel sorry for the guys who wreck a pretty good bike trying to go fast- they enter a universe of discovery, where they keep finding the next weak link in the chain ( and wonder why there is no warranty support).

Guys who see a magazine "show" bike and copy that & wreck the handling- that just shows inexperience and a need to ride from bar to bar, not day after day.

I try not to judge, but when one of my Pals is talking about how his bike is giving trouble etc., it's hard not to point out that they paid good money to screw it up.

I gotta dirt bike for trails, a couple of fast bikes for that and classics for that. the 09 is for utility really.

enjoy your bike, just the way you like it.

Mike

Old 10-30-2011 | 03:18 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior

Mod-less here and enjoying the hell out of it! This bike runs so damn good I can't imagine changing a thing!

Well, I did take the stickers and fork reflectors off. Does that count?

Last edited by dswansbiker; 10-30-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2011 | 03:23 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain

Most bikes are modded when someone gets it. I have a friend with a BMW touring bike and he put on a new seat and 2" pull backs for the handlebars.

I am not interested in more speed out of my Road King. It is fine for my wants. However, as a LATE middle aged man, (At the age of 57 I am not expecting to live to be 114 so I must be beyond the middle of middle age.) I am looking for the comfort mods. I have put on the fork wind deflectors (Walrus tusks) and have, by so doing, removed the buffetting from the knees up. I have, just yesterday, installed some cruiser pegs on the front engine guard. As my signature indicates I picked up a H-D hammack seat. One of the reasons I bought the Road King Classic with the 103 is because it came with cruise control. And I had the LED lights installed prior to delivery because I figured that more light at night is better when a person has eyes that are 57 years old.

Tuesday my reduced reach handlebars arrive from Zanotti's.

I plan on a back rest before too much longer.

Yes, over the years I find that I like to mod my vehicles. The bikes are no exceptions.

Quick Reply: Why the Pressure to make MODS?