Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the Pressure to make MODS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011 | 06:03 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

I agree a stock bike is fine.
But I have to change the handlebars and windshield for comfort. The rest I can’t explain.
Maybe I should have bought a Victory. A bike that has no aftermarket parts available. lol

Old 10-31-2011 | 06:03 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

I agree a stock bike is fine.
But I have to change the handlebars and windshield for comfort. The rest I can’t explain.
Maybe I should have bought a Victory. A bike that has no aftermarket parts available. lol

Old 10-31-2011 | 06:09 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
I think it *is* an aftermarket part.

Old 10-31-2011 | 06:58 PM
EW1959
Tourer

All the other people want to tell you how to spend your money. They can't spend their own so it is up to you to spend yours with their approval.

Old 10-31-2011 | 07:00 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I think it *is* an aftermarket part.
Hahaha
Nice

Old 10-31-2011 | 07:22 PM
Sath
Tourer

I understand the desire for more speed, horsepower and sound. I get that, but if I want speed, I don't think I would have bought my EG Limited, I would have bought a Hyabusa or some other crotch rocket (which I am deathly afraid of anyway!). I'm a middle aged guy who just wants to ride in comfort and luxury.

Was told the same thing today by a friend who has a 11 limited. His mod list and mine are different as I prefer at least a stage one for heat and performance and he is looking at a painted fairing and chrome lowers. The fact is I want the same things he does just in a different in order. Either way both of us want to MOD our bikes and we are just comparing how we can justify spending that $$$$ making both of us feel better. In comparison another friend of mine sold his 2000 R6 for 1k less than I paid for a stage 2 103 for my 09 SG. I see your point but if I had the R6, 97 percent of my ride time would had been spent on the SG so why buy another bike? Not saying my 103 SG performed even close to a r6 . A touring HD is alot of weight to move when getting caged or riding mountain twisties 2 up.

Comfort, Show or Go, either way you know almost everyone wants to mod their bike in some way. The hard part is to know when enough is enough or start all over with a new ride. Luckily I wasnt in too deep ( kept the sundowner seat, backrest, and luggage rack on my SG). New limited here but still wanting to mod. Stage 1, removable tour pak(still have Seat, B rest and L rack), painted fairing, and I'm good, I think ? May want some Cams, dont know still in break in mode for a stock 103.

In short dont feel pressure for mods it's just someones way to justify the $$$$ they have spent in mods. I realize this but still have a mod list and deep down I think you do to.

Sath

Last edited by Sath; 10-31-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-31-2011 | 07:42 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior

Iv'e had my UC for almost 2 years now. I have done a stage 1 along with some chrome doodads. The mods come slow on this bike cuz I still have a 14 going on 24 year old daughter at home and her needs come first, then the wife and if there is anything left I get to mod the bike some more.

Old 11-01-2011 | 02:10 PM
TearlessTom
Intermediate

Well I've been on both sides of this fence, Performance vs Comfort and Metric vs HD.

I've had Sport Touring bikes that fit all areas (except being a HD) they were very fast , very comfortable, and of coarse metric. I've ridden 800 mile days on them without any discomfort. I've ridden other bikes 50 miles and couldn't wait to get off of it. I sold it for financial reasons and more so because I sometimes scared myself wondering why I frequented the triple digits on the speedo. I don't need to go that fast and am not in a hurry to get to where I am going. I was just being stupid!

I sold a metric out of the box 100 HP and 101 lbs torque metric cruiser (Valkyrie) and got a great price. It actually handled high speed (above 80mph) much better than my current and previous HD's but I don't need to go that fast.

Low speed which is where most of us spend out time was a different story. It handled well for its size and weight BUT IT WAS NO HD!

I bought my current 05 Road Glide for exactly what I sold my 97 Valkyrie for, almost stole it. But the previous owner didn't really care for it the way it should be cared for. He made a lot of cosmetic and some comfort and only a stage 1 for the 88CI engine.

So I spent a week cleaning and polishing and now I have a jewel of a bike.

The only mods I made were for comfort, ie Shorter windshield, changed the padding in the Mustang seat, and changed handle bars ( he was a bit taller than me)

I just got back from a 1500 mile weekend road trip. Drove 600 miles home in one day and NEVER had to get off the bike other than fuel and fluid exchanges for myself.

So bottom line is this: I bought this bike not because it is a HD, and not because it was pretty, and not because it was popular, But because it was very comfortable and handled flawlessly in the speeds that I travel.

This is the easiest and best all around bike for me and that is why I ride it.
Never one to ride with the pack and never will be.

The only mods I see in this bike future at any time are polishing the fins on the cylinders or exchanging them for chrome and when the time comes for a re-build I will bump it to a 95CI (as long as we are in the neighborhood. kind of thing)