Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the Pressure to make MODS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011 | 07:00 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jinks
Look at it this way, if you don't do the mods some of your friends are gonna be all over your *** about it. If you do the mods other friends are gonna give you crap every time you have a problem. "Should'a left it alone", "That after market crap always breaks", etc. etc. etc.

If you worry about what the other guy says you're *always* gonna have problems. OTOH, if you do what *you* want the other guy is just background noise.........Tune 'em out!
+1, Well Said!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-30-2011 | 07:11 PM
Tank Bayard
Advanced

Your bike...do what you want, or do nothing. Pretty simple.

Old 10-30-2011 | 07:25 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

I enjoy tearing my engine, trans, primary, elec system apart just to better know my bike. I admit the only time i've tore into something was to fix it and you know how it goes....while your in there might as well upgrade.

Old 10-30-2011 | 08:29 PM
fm58
Tourer

Like others, Handlebar mod for comfort & '11 103 needed Stage 1 in my opinion and it runs much better and cooler. And it looks cooler.

Old 10-30-2011 | 08:56 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

So you're a grown man feeling "pressured" to mod YOU'RE property. If it was the old lady telling you she wants a new seat or heated gear then I suggest doing it. If it's someone or some people else and it bothers you so much that you felt the need to start a thread about it perhaps you should check out the yellow pages. Or one of those 800 numbers that "help" people who are feeling pressure.

Hehehe. K but seriously who cares. Why does it matter. Just get out and ride

Old 10-30-2011 | 10:06 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Default I agree with you Ben...

Originally Posted by jbkrab
Ever since March of 2000 when I got my first 7.3L diesel truck (which I still have), I have been pressured by many friends and acquaintances to mod my truck. Now that I have this 2011 Electra Glide Limited, I'm getting the same pressure from people to mod my bike.

I understand the desire for more speed, horsepower and sound. I get that, but if I want speed, I don't think I would have bought my EG Limited, I would have bought a Hyabusa or some other crotch rocket (which I am deathly afraid of anyway!). I'm a middle aged guy who just wants to ride in comfort and luxury. I still have my Yamaha cruiser that is a lot lighter and much faster if I have the need for some additional speed.

"Boys and their toys" I get that. But if I just spent $27K+ on a bike and now an additional several thousand or more makes me want to just go find a custom builder and have a custom bike made just for me. Than I truly would have a one of a kind bike that's all mine!

Glad I got that off my chest! Thanks for the opportunity for the rant. I feel much better. Please don't think I'm knocking anyone for their mods. I really like a lot of them, just not my style. To all my friends and co-workers, I appreciate your concern and ability to try to make me spend more of my money. But please let me enjoy my toy my way for now and maybe one day, I'll join the crowd for all those mods.
I'm a firm believer in the "less is more" theory. I dropped a few extra dollars into my RK but most of that expense was for comfort, reduced reach bars, another seat, heated grips and color matched HD lowers. The only reason I plan on doing a Stage 1.5 after the warranty is up is to reduce the heat and have a more driveable bike in 6th gear so I'm not constantly shifting down on the curves and hills. As a whole, people here don't seem to keep their toys very long, as a whole keep in mind, so extra bling money is all for nothing come trade in time.

Old 10-30-2011 | 11:08 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

I didnt change anything on my bike (other than H-D detachables) for 2 and a half years, then did a stage one and a Solo seat.

It's your bike, if you like it as it is then you've just saved thousands of dollars! Use the savings to take some road trips!

Old 10-31-2011 | 02:04 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

I think it may be due to individuals wanting to have things that originally look alike to become something a little different, whether externally visible or internally unseen....

Hope that made sense-- I'm currently full of Panadeine Forte, having had a procedure done on my right eye a couple of hours ago......ummm yum yum codiene.....can't feel a thing....

Old 10-31-2011 | 07:57 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member

Just about every bike I've ever owned I have done something. At least a cam,exhaust & A/C. No more engine mods. I just want to ride. They cost way to much to begin with. But I have done some comfort mods & security mods. Ride Safe

Old 10-31-2011 | 02:51 PM
jbkrab
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
So you're a grown man feeling "pressured" to mod YOU'RE property. If it was the old lady telling you she wants a new seat or heated gear then I suggest doing it. If it's someone or some people else and it bothers you so much that you felt the need to start a thread about it perhaps you should check out the yellow pages. Or one of those 800 numbers that "help" people who are feeling pressure.

Hehehe. K but seriously who cares. Why does it matter. Just get out and ride
That's how I got the Heated Seat (which I love). My wife said I had to get that! First time I ever listened to her.

I appreciate all the reply's. I figure maybe on day I'd make a few changes performance/engine wise, but to be honest I have no idea of what I would want, need or desire at this time. I'm taking the approach of just ride it as is. I wish there was a get together of local FLHTK owners with different mods to meet up with and discuss some of their changes. Nothing like seeing what others have done. I have spoken with a few others at the local 9/11 ride right after I bought mine, just that I didn't have it to ride for a couple of weeks so it was hard to talk shop from my end at that time.

Quick Reply: Why the Pressure to make MODS?