Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the Pressure to make MODS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:49 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

I perform all mods on both my bikes myself, one of the reasons iis I like to my my scoots somewhat unique and the ohter reason is that it allows me time by myself (i.e. without my wife nagging me).

Old 10-30-2011, 03:56 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

Why do so many think engine mods affect reliability? My 88TC had a 95", V&H 2 into 1, AC, cams and dyno before I took possession. I have changed cams three times until I found the ones I like for my style (204). Other than stator, cam tensioners, final drive pulley (things that happen on completely stock bikes) I have had no issues. 96K on the clock. I tow trailers and the stock 88 wouldn't cut it for my cross country needs.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:00 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your bike... you do whatever you decide to do... all up to you because no one else will pay the $$$ for mods.

My SG? burly slammer kit ( I am vertically challenged at 5'6") V&H True duals & fuel pak, wind deflectors... switching out handlebars real soon... am doing one thing at a time...making my $$$ last and spending less at the dealership lol besides, its cool to be able to wrench on your own bike!

This forum has many good people who help a total stranger.. just out of pure goodness..thanks all you guys!!

Old 10-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I would have left mine stock if it could handle uphill and head wind cruise controled speeds steadily but unfortunately in those tough conditions I had to shift down to keep up with the traffic.Fuel mileage sucked in harsh condition with stock 96" but now more power easier to deal with harsh conditions and lot better fuel mileage and no one gives you ugly look for blocking traffic flow.I don't race but like to keep up with the surrounding vehicles in any kind of situation.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No one is pressuring you to mod anything. You should not be feeling pressure because someone says something about your bike. The disturbing part is, you say it's all happening again, like back in 2000 with your Ford.
This is what I don't get.
Why would someone want to buy a 27K bike and leave it running the stock programing. The life of the engine will reduced because of all the excessive heat. The stock programming is entirely to lean, and the EPA cams should be in the recycle bin.

Last edited by Indianspringsaz; 10-30-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:34 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we been moding since we climb down from the trees and started to run the savana plains.

Bigger rock meant bigger animal can be killed and bigger animal at one killing means less hunting adventures were needed.

Bigger club meant bigger animal can be killed and bigger animal at one killing means less hunting adventures were needed.

Bigger spear meant bigger animal can be killed and bigger animal at one killing means less hunting adventures were needed.

Bigger bow and arrow meant bigger animal can be killed and bigger animal at one killing means less hunting adventures were needed.

10's and 10's of thousand years later....we want bigger and bigger motorcycles because our brains are wired to think bigger is better.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,590 Likes on 2,719 Posts

No pressure, just getting it where you want it. People that are inclined to mod are forum members, so they post.

For me, its mostly about comfort (stock bars on a RK blow, very painful, need taller bars), but also about appearance.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at it this way, if you don't do the mods some of your friends are gonna be all over your *** about it. If you do the mods other friends are gonna give you crap every time you have a problem. "Should'a left it alone", "That after market crap always breaks", etc. etc. etc.

If you worry about what the other guy says you're *always* gonna have problems. OTOH, if you do what *you* want the other guy is just background noise.........Tune 'em out!

Old 10-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbkrab
. Now that I have this 2011 Electra Glide Limited, I'm getting pressure from people to mod my bike.

Modding your bike = bigger bragging rights(all the stuff people list in their signature)

Old 10-30-2011, 06:06 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Try some Ex-lax, you'll feel better..........just say'in.

Quick Reply: Why the Pressure to make MODS?