Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Demo rides, no follow up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

One of the dealers around here requires their sales folks call 15 perspective customers a day. If you happen to get on their call list by just visiting them to look at bikes, you get called E-V-E-R-Y-DAY. Then, when I finally gave-in and asked a price just to get the guy off the phone, he told me to come in and talk with the Sales Manager.

Beary

Last edited by beary; 10-31-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would be upset if they were calling me trying to sell me a bike after a demo ride. I don't like pushy salesmen.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:41 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbk
I would be upset if they were calling me trying to sell me a bike after a demo ride. I don't like pushy salesmen.
There's nothing pushy in following up with you, IMO. If he calls you everyday, yes, but if he calls you once after the test ride to get your opinion and to understand if you're shopping for a bike or not, I don't see the problem. HD asks their dealers to do it, using a CRM system (customer relationship management). That's how you receive invitations to special events, information about promotions etc...
I owned a Kawasaki Nomad for 8 years prior to my Ultra and nobody from Kawasaki or the dealer ever called me. Obviously, they didn't care if I was happy, unhappy, looking for a bike or not.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 10-31-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 440 Posts

1 of my local dealers call me after demo days. IMHO they fishing for suckers they can reel in and make a killing on. I guess the economy is so bad they have to hunt for food. To bad there prices and customer service are not better than others or word of mouth would keep them fed.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:41 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Pic Please!

Originally Posted by bigfish_Oh
I'll be going back to thank them for the demo ride on the new RK(26K they lost) from the dealer that treated me the best and dealt the best.

MY BUYING EXPERIENCE -
Let me add, to my 1st Harley salesman named Tony, a longhaired (greying w/ponytail), bearded "classic Harley" biker from, well, lets just say a while ago, THANK YOU! He spent his time talking to me, not at me, and explained EVERYTHING to me in plain English. I too was a tire kicker at the time. I had more questions than sense and he waited on me patiently. When I came back 3 weeks later to make the deal, I waited for him patiently while he finished up a customer he was working with. I approached him by saying "I told you I'd be back". Not that he remembered me, but he replied that he never had to press the sale, the bikes simply sold themselves. Tony is no longer with that dealership, but his salesmanship had me back a 2nd time two years ago to pick another bike. YOU NEVER KNOW WHERE THE NEXT SALE IS COMING FROM!

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 10-31-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:53 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bdp
Thats gotta include every "option" out there, like credit life, tire and wheel, maintenance plans etc

or lots of parts at 20%

Old 10-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Denver Dave
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Lazy unprofessional salespeople don't follow up. The owner of the dealership has them ask for a phone number for a reason - he/she thinks they are at least calling afterwards and at a minimum thanking you for coming in, allowing for some dialogue. This is far from hard sell tactics- its just good customer service. These are the same salespeople who complain about tire-kickers and balk at letting customers test ride: "If it weren't for all these damn customers interrupting me, I could get some work done around here."

Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

When I was looking for a used bike, a third of the dealers acted like they couldn't care less, a third were helpful, but never followed up, and a third were helpful and followed up. Guess who I bought from?

In WI I can't say there were any bad dealers. OP, where are you located, and where did you end up buying?

Last edited by Ron750; 10-31-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by equandt
I'd pick up the phone and start talking to them about putting together a deal. I'd also call 3 or 4 other dealers about buying a bike. Get your best deal and buy it! The last two bikes I bought, I was working deals with 2 different dealers. I was also upfront with them and told them that I was working with their competitive dealer. You'll get some no "BS" pricing that way and the dealers get pretty serious quick.

Good luck.
that's exactly what I done, some don't even call back when you tell them exactly what you want and you are doing, I challenged one to stop me from buying used the same day, give me a price and I'll turn around and come to your store. I was $500 off on a 2008 with the cash stacked on the table and walked out of one. The demo ride dealer I had been to 3 times, the salesman could either see me as a liar or a real near future buyer, I was too upfront, I would never be a good salesman.

If bothering someone is a couple follow up email questions, you guys better not have email alerts from dealers.

no pics for 7 more days, then a couple days for the after pics. it's 1000 miles away.

So I guess I was lucky to catch a dealer that knew how to treat someone?
He was the 4th dealer that day I told I was buying a bike(3 in person), new or used. He said he would find what I really wanted and did, didn't want me to settle for less.(my luck it was the general manager?)

The sad part is I'm parking a ferrari to ride a cadillac but the price is backwards. The finance guy started talking warranty and I said if it is half as good as the last 2 new honda's and 2 used ones it will be fine(that never saw a dealers shop), then he started making excuses that a HD is different. I told him I would get beat out of the warranty anyway. So I got 4 year with tire and will cancel after Sturgis. now I have to ask warranty questions and see if he lied about cancellations and claims.

thanks to a couple of you

Old 10-31-2011, 10:55 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've volunteered as a RC the last couple of years for demo days. My experience is that the vast majority of participants are just there for the opportunity to ride a few different models. Most aren't really looking to buy one.

Quick Reply: Demo rides, no follow up?