Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Demo rides, no follow up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

I sold Hondas part time during my college years. I'd ask customers a few qualifying questions and then use consultive sales skills. I didn't use pressure sales tactics and canned pitches. This is the wrong approach for big ticket items like a bike. You strike me as a weak prospect, a tire-kicker. This is likely the reason you haven't received a follow up phone call. Sales people don't make as much commission as you might think. If you want a Harley, get your best deal and buy it. And respect your sales rep's time.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:20 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

If you requested a quote, and never got a call back, I understand, but if you just participated in a demo, then no, do not expect a phone call. I have done many many demo days, never got a phone call. If they would start the phone calls, I would be prone not to do any more.

One Dealer I shopped at when I was buying, called me so many times (sometimes twice a day), and pushed so hard, I did not want to give them my business. It was a real turn off.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:02 PM
fxstbharley2008
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have not bought a new Harley yet, talk to that dealer.
If you have since bought a new Harley from a different dealer go tell that first dealer why you did not buy from him. (They might listen...)
('the new RK(26K they lost) from the dealer that treated me the best and dealt the best.')

Old 10-30-2011, 10:09 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
Strap on some b@lls. If you want a bike, go in and get it. Being a follower and waiting for others to make a move is a passive way to live. I prefer to take the bull by the horns.
Yeah, that doesnt always work either. I was standing in a dealer with $16k in my pocket and asked if they had any used SG's and the stupid a$$ salesman said no. Told him I just sold my chopper that morning, had the cash in my pocket and I was ready to buy a SG that day. When I walked by a new bike, I said that color is cool, I only have $16k on me, what would the out the door price be? He responded "I think about $21k" I then asked how easy is it to get financed? He said "not too bad". I walked around it a couple more times checking it out and he said....Have any questions? I told him no and he said well if you need anything let me know!

That dumb a$$ salesman had a customer with $16k in his pocket, I told him that, asked about financing and HE walked away to give me my space. If I were in his shoes, I would have been shoving a credit app down my throat!

I bought a used bike the next day.....Glad I did, but would have bought the new one at that dealer had he been a half a$$ decent salesman. Their job is to sell me a bike!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:27 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they have something you want. someone will get it, why not you. make the jump and go for it. anything that jumps your way may not be the best you can do.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:52 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfish_Oh
I made my second trip to the same dealer on his demo ride day. We rode 3 bikes, meaning we spent 4 hours looking around on sat afternoon. 3 weeks and never heard a word, no survey, no pitch, what did you think?, blah,blah,etc., really shocked me. They had a captive audience and all my info. I got the feeling from some dealers that these bikes sell themselves, maybe to some. Maybe diehard Harley guys don't care for good price and treatment and they know you're buying anyway. I'm still waiting on 3 phone calls on quotes/price beaters.
I'll be going back to thank them for the demo ride on the new RK(26K they lost) from the dealer that treated me the best and dealt the best.
I compare Harley and John Deere. They both have the marketing over the competition, people that never touched either will wear the T-shirt. Except Harley has yet to limit Dealers radius, I guess it good to have 8 dealers in 40 miles.
I'd pick up the phone and start talking to them about putting together a deal. I'd also call 3 or 4 other dealers about buying a bike. Get your best deal and buy it! The last two bikes I bought, I was working deals with 2 different dealers. I was also upfront with them and told them that I was working with their competitive dealer. You'll get some no "BS" pricing that way and the dealers get pretty serious quick.

Good luck.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:50 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Next post dealer is to pushy and called me at home. LOL

Old 10-31-2011, 06:20 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by redrubicon2004
Yeah, that doesnt always work either. I was standing in a dealer with $16k in my pocket and asked if they had any used SG's and the stupid a$$ salesman said no. Told him I just sold my chopper that morning, had the cash in my pocket and I was ready to buy a SG that day. When I walked by a new bike, I said that color is cool, I only have $16k on me, what would the out the door price be? He responded "I think about $21k" I then asked how easy is it to get financed? He said "not too bad". I walked around it a couple more times checking it out and he said....Have any questions? I told him no and he said well if you need anything let me know!

That dumb a$$ salesman had a customer with $16k in his pocket, I told him that, asked about financing and HE walked away to give me my space. If I were in his shoes, I would have been shoving a credit app down my throat!

I bought a used bike the next day.....Glad I did, but would have bought the new one at that dealer had he been a half a$$ decent salesman. Their job is to sell me a bike!
sounds like you need a salesman to tell you what to buy. if you wanted the bike, when he asked if you had any questions, why didn't you tell him you wanted the bike, and give me a credit app?

Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I remember trying to test ride a new 09 Ultra 3 years ago, during an official HD demo ride day, with the MOCO truck at the local dealer and I wanted my SO to test ride it with me.
We weren't not allowed to ride the bike 2-up!
WTF? They sell Touring Bikes and your passenger can't ride with you to make sure she's fine and comfy behind?? I didn't understand what the problem was and the HD Rep couldn't explain it to me, other than saying, "it's an insurance issue". This is all he could tell me.

Is this an insurance issue because the dealer didn't sign-up for 2-up coverage or is it a MOCO policy nationwide? Did this happen to someone else?

Needless to say, we didn't buy from this dealer.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 10-31-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:26 AM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recently while I was shopping for a new Limted, I had several dealer incounters that almost pushed me away from HD completely. I was riding another brand touring bike and pulled into a dealer on a road trip to look at a new touring bike. Before I could get all my gear stored to go inside some DICK came out and told me I needed to move my bike to the other side of the parking lot, as the parking spaces in front of the building were for HD bikes only. That flew all over me, I strated to shoot him but decided he was not worth the $1.55 for the bullet...just kidding, but the thought did cross my mind. I told him it would be wise to consider everyone who pulled in to the parking lot as a potiental customer, DICK did not care. I left without going inside. I did not go to a HD dealer for several months after this.
I decided wanted to buy a new bike from one of the closest dealers, for ease of service. Service locally and on the road is the main reason I was considering HD. One dealer 87 miles away, everyone I talked to was a true A$$hole, they did not care if I came in or not, purchased or not, exsisted or not. Like I was bothering them asking questions, like "What was the current interest rate?" What will it cost to add chrome fork legs to the bike.
The other dealer 37 miles away would not help me at all. I asked for help on two visits and they told me, they "would be with me in a minute". First one was a Wednesday about 10:30 AM, I was the only customer in the store. 35 minutes later, I left pissed with no help. Next day, Thursday, back in there about 2PM , one other customer in the store, I moved the two bikes I was trying to decide on out into the middle of the floor sat on both of them, measured seat height, checked out how the windshields fit me and again they told me they would be with me in a minute. I left pissed again after 45 minutes. I called the same dealer on Friday, waited on hold through 2 songs on the radio, till finally got a salesman. Told him I wanted a price on a Limited, itemized with all the fees, shipping, and tax. He said he would call me back in a few minutes.
I got a return call 8 hours later and they had tacked on $1100 worth of fees, and shipping to the suggested retail price for a bone stock bike indicated on the web, plus TAX.
I purchased out of state, 250 miles away (a good nice ride away) from a dealer that really makes me feel like they appreciate my business...No surprizes or "got ya's" during the purchase and even after they got my money. The service and parts department have been great also. I get 15% off all parts and accessories. They call me occasionally to check on the bike. I get mail from them about specials, and special events that are FREE to me, since I am a customer. I believe in dealers earning my business. You try to screw me or screw me, I will never walk through the door again and tell everyone I know. You treat me with respect (reasonable) I will be there for life, and sing praises to you.

I guess most dealers count on the coolaid drinkers to keep them in business. "We have the bikes, I can do you a favor by taking all your money and filling out the paperwork", "don't worry about what it cost, I am only gonna stick it in a little bit". I understand brand loyalty but how do you continue that without constantly creating brand loyalty by treating new or potential customers half way decent. I work hard for my money and not gonna give it to some $hitA$$ just because he has an orange and black sign outside for an bike that in my opinion is overpriced for the quality. IE Cad plated bolts all over the bike holding chrome parts on?

My bike is in the shop now after owning it a little over 2 months and 5300 miles for a engine swap. The dealer has been great through all this. It is complete and ready for me to pick up when I get back in town from work.

Quick Reply: Demo rides, no follow up?