Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RKC Horn....WTF?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011 | 12:55 AM
RaceFace
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RKC Horn....WTF?!?!

I haven't had to use the horn on my RKC ever.....until Thursday. I'm on the freeway mid day, running about 70 (flow of traffic) and using my standard safety observances....making sure I can see the eyes of drivers close to me in their mirrors. Well I could tell that the woman on the right wasn't focusing on her driving. She had sunglasses on but her car was wandering, so my guess is she was texting or doing something with her phone. I started to look for an escape away from her but I was pinned in by other cars. My only option, go faster and pass her, so I screw it on. Now my bike has V&H Dresser pipes with Rinehart 4"er's.....its not quiet. I screw it on to pass her and look out!! Here she comes!!! I hit the brakes and the horn at the same time (actually my thumb slips off the horn and accidentally turns on the left blinker in the reaction!! LOL!!!). I barely heard my own horn!!! Between the wind whistling through my half helmet, my pipes, and the 18 wheeler next to me....that horn got ZERO attention....including my own!!

I got home and tested the horn on my girlfriends bike. The horn on her Nightster is MUCH louder and more piercing. It would make a difference. Mine just flat out sucks.

I think a horn is a pretty good safety device in the right situations, but not the one on my bike!! I want to replace it but I don't want big *** air horns hanging off the side of my bike. Does anyone make a replacement horn that fits under the stock horn cover? I have the HD vintage round cover, so it's a little smaller, but not much.

I'm amazed at the lack of "tone" that comes out of these things!!

Old 10-30-2011 | 01:16 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

horn volume is much affected by the mount- too tight or too loose and the sound is weak.

most horns have an adjust screw on the back

make sure it's not full of crud or dirty connections

...and a 6 volt horn gets pretty darn loud- I've had one on my fxr for over 15 years.

my 09 the horn is quite good, the 95 I had an auto parts store horn with a bit of the outside flare trimmed to fit my cowbell cover

mike

Old 10-30-2011 | 06:33 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain

My horn went TU from all the rain I was riding in, it was very muffled. I changed out to a Mini-Beast 2, love it, and it is loud.

Cale

Old 10-30-2011 | 07:23 AM
fenderzig
Road Master

Glad you're ok, Race. I think all of us have laid down a pretty angry, pissed-off, left blinker at some point.

I agree about the horn...I've gone back and forth on the HD premium horn kit. Still don't have it but thinking about it.

Old 10-30-2011 | 07:39 AM
Big ALbert
Tourer

I just installed Kuryakiun air horn about 80.00 comes complete with wiring harness and relay direct replacement
For the Harley cow bell nice and loud good looking chrome looks and sounds great

Old 10-30-2011 | 07:40 AM
Big ALbert
Tourer

I just installed Kuryakiun air horn about 80.00 comes complete with wiring harness and relay direct replacement
For the Harley cow bell nice and loud good looking chrome looks and sounds great

Old 10-30-2011 | 07:41 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I would advise installing an air horn.

I have a Stebel air horn I installed after someone pulled out right in front of me and they never even heard my horn!

If loud pipes save lives, then I am pretty sure that loud horns must do something good....

Attached Thumbnails RKC Horn....WTF?!?!-horn1.jpg  
Old 10-30-2011 | 08:03 AM
Dr.Death
Advanced

The horn on my 2012 FLHR is very loud! Way louder then my old '04 Superglide. My first day on the Road King I hit the horn instead of the turn signal and it scared the hell out of me! lol

Old 10-30-2011 | 08:03 AM
Dr.Death
Advanced

The horn on my 2012 FLHR is very loud! Way louder then my old '04 Superglide. My first day on the Road King I hit the horn instead of the turn signal and it scared the hell out of me! lol

Old 10-30-2011 | 08:09 AM
98Ultra
Road Master

Looks like the one I put on my Ironhead. BadBoy from JC Witney, that I recently saw at Harbor Freight at a better price.
Damn sure loud.

Quick Reply: RKC Horn....WTF?!?!