Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RKC Horn....WTF?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011 | 10:13 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Cool horn

Originally Posted by RaceFace
I haven't had to use the horn on my RKC ever.....until Thursday. I'm on the freeway mid day, running about 70 (flow of traffic) and using my standard safety observances....making sure I can see the eyes of drivers close to me in their mirrors. Well I could tell that the woman on the right wasn't focusing on her driving. She had sunglasses on but her car was wandering, so my guess is she was texting or doing something with her phone. I started to look for an escape away from her but I was pinned in by other cars. My only option, go faster and pass her, so I screw it on. Now my bike has V&H Dresser pipes with Rinehart 4"er's.....its not quiet. I screw it on to pass her and look out!! Here she comes!!! I hit the brakes and the horn at the same time (actually my thumb slips off the horn and accidentally turns on the left blinker in the reaction!! LOL!!!). I barely heard my own horn!!! Between the wind whistling through my half helmet, my pipes, and the 18 wheeler next to me....that horn got ZERO attention....including my own!!

I got home and tested the horn on my girlfriends bike. The horn on her Nightster is MUCH louder and more piercing. It would make a difference. Mine just flat out sucks.

I think a horn is a pretty good safety device in the right situations, but not the one on my bike!! I want to replace it but I don't want big *** air horns hanging off the side of my bike. Does anyone make a replacement horn that fits under the stock horn cover? I have the HD vintage round cover, so it's a little smaller, but not much.

I'm amazed at the lack of "tone" that comes out of these things!!
Nothing like the test method. Sounds kinda dorky, but be somewhere
H-Ds gather and ask riders if you see something that might not be stock for opinion and demonstration. You will probably get some weird looks but maybe get the sound and look you be lookin' for. Might work when trying to select an exhaust sound also. Some riders will be very helpful.

Old 10-30-2011 | 10:24 AM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member

This thread is making me horny

Old 10-30-2011 | 10:53 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

I have 2 FIAMM Freeway Blasters (one hi one lo tone $20 shipped for both), mounted behind my saddlebags, one on each side. They're connected to the horn switch wires under the cowbell and to the battery with a fused relay. They're small in size, they're electromagnetic with no compressor.
They are MUCH louder than the wimpy stock horn but not obnoxious. They sound like an italian sports car if you see what I mean. I don't use them very often but when I do, I sure get the attention of the cagers around me.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 10-30-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2011 | 11:06 AM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member

Horn on my 08 FLHX started sounding like a goat being strangled after I rode through a bad thunderstorm. I replaced it with a Stabel direct replacement horn. Fits under the cowbell and is loud as hell.

P.S. I have furiously "honked" the left blinker several times!

Old 10-30-2011 | 11:11 AM
Big Jim Daddy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fenderzig
Glad you're ok, Race. I think all of us have laid down a pretty angry, pissed-off, left blinker at some point.

I do the opposite......going for a left turn and scare the **** out of myself honking on accident.....lol

Old 10-30-2011 | 11:14 AM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

I think you have a defective horn. That is one of the standard safety feature that should have been checked at dealer setup. Required to pass safety inspection.

The horn on my EC is fairly loud. Loud enough to get the attention of nearby drivers. At the same time, I have considered putting on a louder horn. I use it and light flashes to get the attention of drivers that appear to not be paying attention and are in a position to hit me. Especially women yacking/texting on phones (sorry girls, you are by far the biggest violators).

I am 53 years old and got my first bike when I was 13 (Honda Trail 70). So wow! I have been riding for 40 years now. In that time I have been hit twice and went down once after hitting a dog. I try to be as loud and bright as possible in traffic; Rinehart TD's, horn, head light flash, LED's all the way around. If it were legal for me to put "blue lights" on it, I would.

There are old riders, there are bold riders. There are no old bold riders.

Ride safe,
Woolly

Old 10-30-2011 | 12:33 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Woollymonster
I think you have a defective horn. That is one of the standard safety feature that should have been checked at dealer setup. Required to pass safety inspection.
they probably checked his horn out during dealer setup, back in 2005

Old 10-30-2011 | 12:38 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skratch
they probably checked his horn out during dealer setup, back in 2005
Ahhhh.... Yes. Didn't notice how old it was. Assumed it was new because OP stated he had never used the horn before. Weird.

Old 10-30-2011 | 08:32 PM
towerhandjake
Intermediate

I've been looking at these....the "little big horn" may be to your liking.

http://howardshorns.com/

You can listen to them too on the site.

Old 10-30-2011 | 08:52 PM
KK66
Advanced

http://www.thepropad.com/MiniBeast-A...-Prodlist.html

Just put the mini beast on my RG EVO looks great and is loud as HEEL

Quick Reply: RKC Horn....WTF?!?!