Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall switch issue anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:15 PM
L-Premo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recall switch issue anyone else?

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced the below issue after having the new switch installed.
After picking up bike from having recall brake switch replaced, it seemed like the brake pedal sat lower than before and seemed a little mushy. So didn’t think much of it. While leaving the dealer just to check the feel of the brake, I pressed the rear break hard enough for a quick stop. When I did, I felt and heard a couple of clunks. Each time I repeated this I felt and heard the same thing. At first I thought maybe it was the ABS pulsation, but I never pressed the brake as hard as I could as if doing an emergency stop.
So I returned to the dealer and explained the symptoms to the service desk. He had the tech who did the fix check it out and he was able to repeat the symptom and said he never felt anything like that before. So they had the senior tech take the bike for a ride and he experienced the same thing. So I left the bike because they were going to bleed the brakes manually and they also said that the RGU also required a computer check for the bleed also.
Got a call back several hours later from the service desk asking if I could leave the bike overnight? Seems they had done the recall fix on several other bikes today and some of those bikes were experiencing the same symptom. They want to research what the cause is and fix it or find out if it is a common thing with the new switch.
Personally I don’t think there is or should be anything common about brakes clunking when pressed.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmm. I had recall done and yes mushy brake.......brought it back on right away...he rebled brakes and brake seemed firmer......I rode around lot using just rear brake and when pressed hard it clicked and released a,couple of times but stopped me.......sure this isn't just the abs doing its job??

Old 10-29-2011, 10:57 PM
LimitedLou
Tourer

Originally Posted by Port Dawg
Hmmmmm. I had recall done and yes mushy brake.......brought it back on right away...he rebled brakes and brake seemed firmer......I rode around lot using just rear brake and when pressed hard it clicked and released a,couple of times but stopped me.......sure this isn't just the abs doing its job??

I had a rear brake switch replaced over a year ago and had to take back and had them re bleed system, been good ever since... Now I guess I still have to bring in for another ??

Old 10-29-2011, 11:01 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

As a matter of fact I had mine replaced and when i tried to stop I felt and heard a clunk
I thought something fell off of my bike it only .happened once

Old 10-29-2011, 11:11 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is air in the brake system and needs to be bled out.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The engine braking in lower gears and the rear brake at the same time will cause the ABS to activate on mine. If you pull the clutch in before braking in lower gears mine doesn't do it. The mushy part is air in system.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LimitedLou
I had a rear brake switch replaced over a year ago and had to take back and had them re bleed system, been good ever since... Now I guess I still have to bring in for another ??
You will need the new switch now too. I had mine replaced in June and it was the same switch, not the new one.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:23 PM
LimitedLou
Tourer

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
You will need the new switch now too. I had mine replaced in June and it was the same switch, not the new one.
Yes, and thanks. Not in a hurry, Harley supposed to send out something in mail I hear .. Everything fine..

Good Looking Bike...

Old 10-30-2011, 06:59 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Not worth the aggravation...If and when my brake lights stop working, I'll replace the switch myself but after I buy it at a local auto supply store....Did they have this many issues during the AMF days LOL.....

Old 10-30-2011, 07:59 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

I asked my dealer yesterday about whether they'd seen any failures. Just one so far, but in this case the switch cracked, brake fluid leaked out, and the owner lost use of his rear brakes. He indicate that or brake light electrical failure could be the outcomes. Not worth waiting on if you ask me. He'll give me a ring when they get their next batch of replacement switches.

Mark

Quick Reply: Recall switch issue anyone else?