Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall switch issue anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:59 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked my dealer yesterday about whether they'd seen any failures. Just one so far, but in this case the switch cracked, brake fluid leaked out, and the owner lost use of his rear brakes. He indicate that or brake light electrical failure could be the outcomes. Not worth waiting on if you ask me. He'll give me a ring when they get their next batch of replacement switches.

Mark

Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,354 Likes on 5,496 Posts

When they replace the switch the rear brakes must be bled.
It sounds like the tech did not do it or did not get it right.
Mine was changed out yesterday on a RGU no big deal in and out.
Many are making a much bigger deal out of this than it is.
real world few failed and when they did it was the brake light that did not work a very few leaked. It was caused by the switch not being able to handle the heat from the CAT's.
They had the supplier build a tougher switch problem solved.
At least HD did the recall on their own not like others that have to be forced to do it.
If you paid to replace it before the recall and the new switch was put out HD will refund your cash. If you have not done so call your dealer and get on the list to get it done. The first batch of switches have been sent out after that dealer needs to order what they need.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:30 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Had mine done yesterday and it was pretty quick job. Less than 30 minutes. I believe they do have to cycle the ABS to get a good bleed. My brake is high and firm just like before.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:41 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an appointment Wednesday to have the rear brake light switch replaced.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:26 PM
flhtupser
Tourer

Had mine replaced Friday. Feels just like before but I don't have ABS. Rode 200 plus miles this weekend with no problems. May be more of an issue on ABS bikes.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:38 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,451 Likes on 8,422 Posts

I can't believe the tech didn't take it on a test ride after the replacement. Anytime the dealer does any work on my bike the take a ride on it.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:02 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

If they do not bleed the brakes & use the HD Digital Tech II to check ABS for air in lines I don't want my changed. I've checked out the HD manual & it states to bleed the brakes after replacing the switch. It also mentions using the Digital Tech II after opening any line between the master cyl & ABS module & the switch looks like it's in the middle. If I'm looking at this wrong will someone let me know.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:16 PM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

The switch is a hydraulic operated switch that taps into the brake line. Anytime you open the hydraulic system, it needs to be bled afterwards to remove any small air that can enter and produce a mushy feel etc.

I bet some of the H-D "mechanics" are not paying attention or just trying to do this quick and dirty.

Your brake pedal should feel the same after the switch replacement as it did before. If it's mushy, there's air that needs bleeding.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:25 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zoozoo
I can't believe the tech didn't take it on a test ride after the replacement. Anytime the dealer does any work on my bike the take a ride on it.
I'm with you on this one Zoo, this would **** me off badly. TECH'S DO YOUR JOB PROPERLY!!!!

Old 10-30-2011, 11:42 PM
JoeyPots
6th Gear

I have to bring mine in, I'm hoping they don't "F" **** up. was a little worried after reading some of the horror stories
thanks Smitty for the confidence

Quick Reply: Recall switch issue anyone else?