Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you believe this ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006 | 11:16 AM
Tech2
Tourer
Default RE: Can you believe this ?

I've had two experiences with using extended warranties, both positive:

1) Bought a 50" LCD projection TV from Circuit City and bought their 3-year warranty for $400. Eighteen months later, when the bulb in mine went out, I found out that the projection bulbs (rated at 10,000 hours by Panasonic) typically last around 1500 hours. The bulbs cost $350 dollars. I had mine replaced twice during the warranty period, no questions asked. A technician came out the first time and replaced the bulb at no additional charge to me. The second time they sent me a bulb Fed-Ex. To me, it was well worth it.

2) My wife bought a new washer and dryer at Sears. Since the washer was a new design (low water usage, low power usage) I bought the 3-year Sears warranty. Thank god. The washer was a nightmare. We had a tech out to our house 5-6 times within a year. Each time he replaced different parts. I found out that there was actually a class action lawsuit against Whirlpool over this washer. I was even contacted by a lawyer asking if I wanted to be the class representative for Michigan, which I declined. I documented everything, including my discussions with the lawyers, the techs (who all acknowledged that this washer was a piece of junk at $900), and Whirlpool Customer Service (who were useless). I kept after Sears Customer Support, armed with my documentation, and they eventually took the old washer and gave us a $600 credit towards a new washer of our choice.

The point is: Not ALL extended warranties are useless. You just need to be persistent.

Old 11-30-2006 | 11:35 AM
rhinoevans
Tourer
Default RE: Can you believe this ?

Buying an extended warranty and DON'T even know the TERMS AND CONDITIONS of the contract. Shame on you, but I is easier to BLAME everybody else!