Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BP no Ethanol??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011 | 05:34 PM
fireaxxe
|
Road Master
Default BP no Ethanol??

I was under the understanding that all fuel sold with ethanol must be marked. I have been using Shell and almost ran out trying to get there so I had to stop at BP. After a few miles this bike seems to run smoother and my engine is quieter. I also notice the exhaust smells different it has a rich sweet smell. I am not sure if this particular BP gas station has Ethanol in it or not. None of the pumps had the small writing that says "may contain at least 10% ethanol". Anyone know whats up with BP gas, the stuff is good.

Old 10-27-2011 | 05:44 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

When I had my first engine build done, Doc told me to use BP as much as I could. BP has less additives the most and runs cleaner. The last time the exhaust was off the intake and exhaust port looked carbon free.

Old 10-27-2011 | 05:44 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

I work for an petroleum company here in the Northeast and I can tell you that most if not all of the gas sold doesn't derive from the Branded name (i.e. BP, Shell, etc.). The only thing that makes it unique is an additive that is added at the rack (terminal). Some oil companies use that additive as a marketing tool (i.e. Invigorate), but actually its used as an environmental tracking tool in case of a release (spill). Regarding Ethanol, there still are some independent branded stations that may not be using it. Here's a listing:
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NC

Old 10-27-2011 | 05:51 PM
fireaxxe
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by aviscomi
I work for an petroleum company here in the Northeast and I can tell you that most if not all of the gas sold doesn't derive from the Branded name (i.e. BP, Shell, etc.). The only thing that makes it unique is an additive that is added at the rack (terminal). Some oil companies use that additive as a marketing tool (i.e. Invigorate), but actually its used as an environmental tracking tool in case of a release (spill). Regarding Ethanol, there still are some independent branded stations that may not be using it. Here's a listing:
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NC
Thanks for the reply this particular gas station is not on the list. Maybe I just got a tank full of a good batch.

Old 10-27-2011 | 05:57 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member

Did it smell like corn on a cob with butter?

Old 10-27-2011 | 05:57 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

There are several stations in my area that do not have Ethanol. When ever possible I buy that fuel. Costs the same, bike seems to run a bit cooler, and gets 10 - 15% more mpg.

Old 10-27-2011 | 06:11 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by SportyPig
There are several stations in my area that do not have Ethanol. When ever possible I buy that fuel. Costs the same, bike seems to run a bit cooler, and gets 10 - 15% more mpg.
You're lucky to have a local Ethanol free station. The probelm with Ethanol is that it absorbs water (hygroscopic) every gas station has special filters at the pumps to extract the water, but if they are changed at regular intervals the water ends up in your tank.

Old 10-27-2011 | 08:56 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Labeling is a state by state thing, in NC stations do not have to put the 10% sticker on the pump, makes it a little tougher to find real gas, gotta go to the boat marina.

Old 10-27-2011 | 09:07 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

All the gas stations label out here too and there a lot of stations out here that do not sell ethanol.

Old 10-27-2011 | 10:43 PM
norseman bagger
Cruiser

It does depend on the state. Here in MN all stations are required to sell gas with 10% ethanol or E85, and they don't have to label the pumps for the E10.

Last edited by norseman bagger; 10-27-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: BP no Ethanol??