Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STA-BIL fuel stabilizer good or bad for EFI ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 12:31 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Seafoam is an awesome product, and I use it as a regular part of my routine maintenance. Every time I change oil, etc. I run a tank of Seafoam treated gas to clean things up.

However, it doesn't have any stabilizing qualities. It won't keep your fuel fresh over the winter. It might just keep things clean enough so the bike will start on stale gas. I don't have to park my bikes during the winter, so I don't use any Stabilizing products on my bikes. Just in the garden tractors, mowers, Garden tillers, weed-eaters, etc etc etc.
I am pretty sure it says right on the can "fuel stabilizer". So if it has no stabilizing qualities why does it say it does. And up here in Canada seafoam gas only been available for a few years. I now buy it by the gallon. I put it in tge vacuum lines,oil and gas tank and right after the smokeshow ended my mustangs idle smoothed out. My girls cavalier check engine light went off,my truck ran better. In a neglected engine it will dissolve sludge and varnish from inside the motor. Cleans so well my old work truck developed a gasket leak. The sludge has built up and plugged all the little holes that had devoted. Awesome product. Marvel mystery oil will also clean fuel system and crankcase,albeit not quite as fast. Mmo also will stabilize fuel. And mmo and seafoam are harmless if you put in more than directed.
I dont even bother with sta-bil anymore. Why? Because it only stabilizes fuel. Might as well have the cleaning bonus on my first run next year. Jmo.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:25 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

STA-BIL works great just make sure to use it with fresh fuel. I have used for the past 5 years on EFI bikes and never a problem.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/faq.aspx

Old 10-28-2011, 09:13 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer Seafoam over Stabil because Seafoam uses a petroleum base. Stabil has alchohol in it. With E10 gas we are already getting to much alcohol and adding more just does not make sense to me.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:13 AM
easycruzer
Tourer

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
I am pretty sure it says right on the can "fuel stabilizer". So if it has no stabilizing qualities why does it say it does. And up here in Canada seafoam gas only been available for a few years. I now buy it by the gallon. I put it in tge vacuum lines,oil and gas tank and right after the smokeshow ended my mustangs idle smoothed out. My girls cavalier check engine light went off,my truck ran better. In a neglected engine it will dissolve sludge and varnish from inside the motor. Cleans so well my old work truck developed a gasket leak. The sludge has built up and plugged all the little holes that had devoted. Awesome product. Marvel mystery oil will also clean fuel system and crankcase,albeit not quite as fast. Mmo also will stabilize fuel. And mmo and seafoam are harmless if you put in more than directed.
I dont even bother with sta-bil anymore. Why? Because it only stabilizes fuel. Might as well have the cleaning bonus on my first run next year. Jmo.
"Cleans so well my old worktruck developed a gasket leak. "

- Not so sure that is a product endorsement.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Idaho Spud
Road Master

I just went to a dealer seminiar on winterizing and they recommend it.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:54 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well.....I stand corrected. Just checked my can of Seafoam. It does state on the can can be used as a Fuel Stabilizer. DAMN, hate it when I'm wrong. I almost made it 10 months this year without being wrong.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:04 AM
F.B.I. Wideglide
Novice

I would not use seafoam as a winterizer. The dealer here had a bike come in this spring where the owner put some in right before it was stored. I saw the motor. Everything from the injectors to the rings was junk. Had to beat the pistons out-stuck to the walls. I use stabil. Good luck. Fast Boys from Illinois.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mariner227
I prefer Seafoam over Stabil because Seafoam uses a petroleum base. Stabil has alchohol in it. With E10 gas we are already getting to much alcohol and adding more just does not make sense to me.

You need to reverse the position of your products.

What is the first thing you smell when you open a can of SeaFoam?

That's the smell of isopropal alcohol, my friend.

There is no alcohol in StaBil, never has been.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 AM
hubble
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Star-Tron.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,601 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Was over at the auto parts store today, found the Seafoam - holy crap, $59/Gallon!

Quick Reply: STA-BIL fuel stabilizer good or bad for EFI ?