Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temp gauge sender in oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 07:15 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Oil temp gauge sender in oil pan

ORIGINAL: jlelliott

I had one installed on my 07 Ultra prior to delivery. I doesn't work either....goes to 105 deg when power is applied and stays there. The cooler gets hot after riding it so I know the thermostat is opening, it's just not registering temperature at the gauge. Dealer has ordered another sender and another gauge and plans on replacing them at the first service. Based on what I am reading here perhaps I should just save us all some grief and get a refund instead.
Remove the sender and gauge and test them in boiling water. If it works, install in the pan with an adapter.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Sheep
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: iclick

Remove the sender and gauge and test them in boiling water. If it works, install in the pan with an adapter.
On mine we pulled the sensor off and crossed the leads. The gauge pegged over so we figured it was the sensor and ordered a replacement. Before it came in they installed three more and all did the same thing as mine.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:27 PM
fryeca
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread! After reading this last night I went to my local dealer and purchased the oil temp gauge; then across the street to NAPA and picked up the adapter for the sensor.

I ran my wires down the trough under the fuel tank and through the battery box for a clean installation.

Took about three hours to install...very happy with the results!!

Old 04-21-2007, 07:49 AM
AceHog
Road Captain

Teflon would be ok, just don't go crazy on it.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Ben U

I put the Wally Oil temp gauge in. My HD service dealer recommended them over the HD name brand one. It installed easily in the second oil of the oil pan and registers just fine. Love the gauge, cost me about $85 bucks.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Timex
Tourer

I have had months of diagnostic issues with my Wally's gauge. After 4 sending units (in pan without tape on threads), and 2 gauges installed, it still didn't work. Then I put a ground wire on the sending unit, attached with a smll hose clamp, and it now works like a champ. For some bizzare reason, the bare threads on my sender did not make a good ground to the threads in the pan. All this over a grounding issue.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:01 AM
takeiteasy
Cruiser

I had an HD oil temp gauge installed on my 07 and it works well. Starts reading after a couple of minutes of riding. Read 200 after about 15 minutes of around town driving in 80 degree temps.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:10 AM
takeiteasy
Cruiser

sorry for the picture size. I will preview it next time.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Timex
Tourer

The sensor is fine, as long as the main body of the sensor is grounded. If you touch the end of the sending wire (the end that hooks to the sensor) to a ground source, the needle should peg all the way over to the right.

ORIGINAL: Sheep

ORIGINAL: iclick

On mine we pulled the sensor off and crossed the leads. The gauge pegged over so we figured it was the sensor and ordered a replacement. Before it came in they installed three more and all did the same thing as mine.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dpa

I had an HD oil temp gauge installed on my 07 and it works well. Starts reading after a couple of minutes of riding. Read 200 after about 15 minutes of around town driving in 80 degree temps.

That seems odd to put that adapter plate behind the filter and put the sender into it! I've thought that was just used to put an add on oil cooler!

Guessing now, it may have the thermostatic valve parts removed to allow continous monitering of oil psi!

Quick Reply: Oil temp gauge sender in oil pan