Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Ohlins experience.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hardwork2
thanks
I hate to bother him on the weekend. I'm sure he needs a break too
We also need to give him time to work on his Ohlins cartridge front forks for our dressers!

Old 10-30-2011, 09:56 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I recieved and installed my #2-#2(A) Ohlins, they are 12 1/8"/309.5mm and have 3 34"/83mm stroke /3= 1.08"/27.666mm = riders sag, making the shock 309.5mm (-) 27.66mm = 281.84mm/11.09" Mounting bolt to mounting bolt (when set). Howard correct me if I'm wrong here please.

Absolutly great customer service! I read 100reds of posts and his website along with others before I finally decided to pull the trigger on my Ohlins. My advice to those of you considering the same, would be to do your home work before you call Howard.

If you at least have the general knowlege of what your talking about, the conversation will be more productive. Don't try to act like you know it all because you read everything, just familiarize yourself with the product. Howard is an expert and will know in about 30 seconds how much knowlege you actually have on the issue, but he will appreciate that you took the time to get famililarized.

Now that I have them installed, I'm really enjoying the ride! Howard told me to ride and break them in for about 500 to 1000 miles before I adjust to the proper setting. That means the ride will get even better, thats crazy, because the ride is so much better now! This was a great decision on my part and even better is that I have learned more about suspensions because of dealing with Howard.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:42 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
It is not that simple! Stock shocks have around 2" of travel while the Ohlins we are talking of here have around 3". If the sag on both is correctly adjusted (admittedly not possible with stock shocks), compressed length of 13" stock shocks would be around 12.3in, with 13" Ohlins it would be 12". Wuhich is the lowest to sit on?!

Penskes cost much more than Ohlins. However they are the brand Howard offered us before he took up with Ohlins.
The original post I was referencing, it was stated by author that he got an addition 1/4" of adjustment from the 3-3 Ohlins shock. There was no comparison being made to the stock shock. And I stated that 1/4" at the rear wheel would be a minute amount at the seat. Read the whole thread before you chime in.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:50 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
Well I recieved and installed my #2-#2(A) Ohlins, they are 12 1/8"/309.5mm and have 3 34"/83mm stroke /3= 1.08"/27.666mm = riders sag, making the shock 309.5mm (-) 27.66mm = 281.84mm/11.09" Mounting bolt to mounting bolt (when set). Howard correct me if I'm wrong here please.

Absolutly great customer service! I read 100reds of posts and his website along with others before I finally decided to pull the trigger on my Ohlins. My advice to those of you considering the same, would be to do your home work before you call Howard.

If you at least have the general knowlege of what your talking about, the conversation will be more productive. Don't try to act like you know it all because you read everything, just familiarize yourself with the product. Howard is an expert and will know in about 30 seconds how much knowlege you actually have on the issue, but he will appreciate that you took the time to get famililarized.

Now that I have them installed, I'm really enjoying the ride! Howard told me to ride and break them in for about 500 to 1000 miles before I adjust to the proper setting. That means the ride will get even better, thats crazy, because the ride is so much better now! This was a great decision on my part and even better is that I have learned more about suspensions because of dealing with Howard.
Besides me getting a swelled head, I can only correct you in the major part (Mounting bolt to mounting bolt). If you hold down the Alt key than type in 0162 you would get a symbol: ¢ when you let go of the Alt key. This means center to center or ¢ to ¢. You can also find lots of cool symbols on this web page LINK: http://alt-codes.org/list/ that you can amaze your wife, co-workers, or friends!

Well you asked, didn't you? → ☻ ░ You can also use these symbols as part of your password so it is really hard for the hackers to get into your account. Now who says bikers are dumb? Happy Halloween!

Old 10-30-2011, 12:26 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Besides me getting a swelled head, I can only correct you in the major part (Mounting bolt to mounting bolt). If you hold down the Alt key than type in 0162 you would get a symbol: ¢ when you let go of the Alt key. This means center to center or ¢ to ¢. You can also find lots of cool symbols on this web page LINK: http://alt-codes.org/list/ that you can amaze your wife, co-workers, or friends!

Well you asked, didn't you? → ☻ ░ You can also use these symbols as part of your password so it is really hard for the hackers to get into your account. Now who says bikers are dumb? Happy Halloween!
haha correction noted.