Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Custom exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 06:05 PM
apxpred
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default American Custom exhaust

Sent my mufflers out to them today for the " Bomber " recore. Anyone running their recores ? How about end user sound clips ?

BTW I picked up a complete exh. take off from a '10 RKC, going to gut the headpipe this weekend.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:13 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I bought them about a yr. ago. Run them with no baffles, love the sound. Sorry don't know how to post a sound clip, but the mfg. had some on their web site. I think you will be satisfied.
Kroozeabout.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Ganno57
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set and like them. However, they are not a recore. All they do is cut out the section that holds the stock baffle in the muffler body. They remove the stock baffle and you are left with no baffle at all, just an empty stock muffler. Then they weld in a plate that has two threaded screw holes so you can install a set of their baffles at an additional cost. It is a quick and dirty cut that is left as is. They do not do any dress-up or clean up after cutting out the stock baffle. I guess it would take an additional 5 minutes to use a sander to at least remove the sharp edges from cutting. The lack of finishing the cut by cleaning it up is my only gripe.

If you want baffles you need to purchase them. I am running their "Mid Rumble" which sounds good but are only marginally louder than stock. When I get ready to actually dyno tune the bike I will drill a few more holes in the baffles to get some more sound. Running them as is with no baffle made my bike run poor. I experienced poor throttle response and hesitation on acceleration. Putting in the mid rumble baffles cured the problems.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:13 AM
apxpred
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ganno57
I have a set and like them. However, they are not a recore. All they do is cut out the section that holds the stock baffle in the muffler body. They remove the stock baffle and you are left with no baffle at all, just an empty stock muffler. Then they weld in a plate that has two threaded screw holes so you can install a set of their baffles at an additional cost. It is a quick and dirty cut that is left as is. They do not do any dress-up or clean up after cutting out the stock baffle. I guess it would take an additional 5 minutes to use a sander to at least remove the sharp edges from cutting. The lack of finishing the cut by cleaning it up is my only gripe.

If you want baffles you need to purchase them. I am running their "Mid Rumble" which sounds good but are only marginally louder than stock. When I get ready to actually dyno tune the bike I will drill a few more holes in the baffles to get some more sound. Running them as is with no baffle made my bike run poor. I experienced poor throttle response and hesitation on acceleration. Putting in the mid rumble baffles cured the problems.
Hmmmmm, curious why do you suppose you had issues ? Lack of back pressure ? Do you have any type of tuner ? Gutted header ? I see you have a 103 as well, what prompted you to run the baffle ? vendor suggested ?

Thanks

Old 10-27-2011, 01:31 AM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been running the slash down bombers for 6 months or so. I really like the sound (for me).
My experience with the AC coring out my mufflers was very good. The 'look' of the work they did on mine appears factory, the finish is very good. Of course, the mufflers were new take offs that were given to me, so they were in new condition when I sent them in and I requested to have my own mufflers done and returned to me. I also had an OEM header system take-off that a couple of months later I sent in to have them de-cat and return.

My experience with the AC bomber mufflers was they sounded better than any of the other 3 sets that I had sitting around (Rush, SE SuperTrapps, and older OEM). But still not quite what I was after.

Put on the header system, installed the bombers and that was what I was after. Sounds great (to me); bike runs 20* oil temps cooler; definitely noticeable sense of power increase low thru mid-range.

Note that this system went on a machine that already had the SE aircleaner system and SE slip-ons, with Stage 1 download map from Moco.
I added variable XiEds to add some fuel.

I am trying to improve on what HD sends out the door as inexpensively as possible without going the full-bore route I did on the last one... just an experiment at this point. Working on next step now.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:42 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have them, the finish work is fine, looks stock. The mid range baffles were not quite enough so I doubled the holes and increased the size from 7/16" to 1/2". Sounds very good now. That's one of the good things about these, you can make them sound any way you want.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:02 AM
apxpred
Cruiser

Thanks guys, appreciate ya !

Old 10-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Bigiron
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sent my mufflers to AC and their mid-range baffles. Also installed an 09' headpipe(no cat) and a PCV from Fuel Moto. Only slightly louder than stock, so I'm in the process of drilling holes in the baffles until I get the sound I want. If I get them too loud, a new set of baffles is only $44.00. 2010 Limited, 103.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:47 AM
apxpred
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bigiron
Sent my mufflers to AC and their mid-range baffles. Also installed an 09' headpipe(no cat) and a PCV from Fuel Moto. Only slightly louder than stock, so I'm in the process of drilling holes in the baffles until I get the sound I want. If I get them too loud, a new set of baffles is only $44.00. 2010 Limited, 103.
This is the route I'm taking as well except I'll be adding the Fuelmoto AC. How close was the map you got ? Any tinkering to get it right ?

Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Ganno57
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by apxpred
Hmmmmm, curious why do you suppose you had issues ? Lack of back pressure ? Do you have any type of tuner ? Gutted header ? I see you have a 103 as well, what prompted you to run the baffle ? vendor suggested ?

Thanks
The lack of back pressure is what the problem was. I should have mentioned that I had already gutted the cat before the mufflers went on. I tried a set of V&H twin slash mufflers without the cat and did not like the way the bike ran. At highway speeds the bike did not have the acceleration like it did with the stock mufflers. It made more noise but there was no go. No other work has been done and I am still running the stock air cleaner. Once I put the mid range baffles in all the BS went away. I had ordered the mid range baffles when I sent in the mufflers in anticipation of the lack of back pressure and thought I might want to quiet them down a little. I prefer the look of the stock mufflers over everything else I have seen from the aftermarket and these do sound good.

Quick Reply: American Custom exhaust