Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Ohlin front fork update?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Any Ohlin front fork update?

I heard more than once that Howard was suppose to be working on a Ohlin cartridge set up for the front of touring bikes. Anybody heard anything?

Old 10-26-2011, 05:09 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default update

Just call. I am in the process of selecting a company that will make a mould than make a wax for investment casting. I need to make the bottom triple tree out of 4140 chrome molly. I have the 3-D drawing already made (which is very expensive) with the design I need for my new forks. Driving down the street you can not tell the difference in appearance only.

I have many Dyna forks with the 30mm Ohlins cartridges in them. There is no other front fork solution that comes anywhere close to this offering. Ohlins sells more than a 2,000/year to the sport bike people.

The rest of this solution is already completed.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:52 AM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

So it's a completely new fork assembly? And will look stock or no?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Howard built a front end for my 2000 FXDL with the new Ohlins FGK 30mm Cartridges and it takes the ride to a whole new level.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:28 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Remove your fender, wheel, calipers, ABS Sensor, spacers, axle and set it aside because you will need to re-use it again.

Remove your forks and triple trees. Slide in the new triple trees using your old nut. Install the new forks and clamp from top and bottom. No cow bells can be used, if you like, use fork gators for protection.

Re-assemble as you took it off.

Our own fork tubes that reduce flexing like your present day 1 5/8" fork tubes. With the exception of no cow bells, looks exactly like stock including all bolt on parts. Like everything I do, it will set the bar as the best in the world and everything else measured to it. Works the same as what we do on the Dynas. As bigdaddy33 already states, there is nothing in the existing world that compares to this system.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Anyone use the tourtrack upper triple tree setup? I've got racetech internals in my stock forks but you can tell the front end isn't as solid as it needs to be.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mongomark
Anyone use the tourtrack upper triple tree setup? I've got racetech internals in my stock forks but you can tell the front end isn't as solid as it needs to be.
Thats a pretty vague description of your isuue. Maybe; your emulators aren't set up properly, you have the wrong springs, sag is not set correctly, or you are running the wrong viscosity/amount of fluid. So long as your stock trees are tight, I can't imagine that they are the cause of what you are feeling.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:23 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

The front end performs 100% better than it did when it was stock. I'm looking for that extra something. I ride aggressively and notice a degree of twitch in the front when hitting rain grooves or really pushing it in bumpy sweepers. The stock upper triple tree and for tube attachment leave something to be desired. It's not the strongest setup for performance with no clamping at the top of the tube. I was wondering if anyone has tried the tourtrack triple tree. If you haven't, I guess you can't answer the question I'm asking.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:54 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

My bad, there are a lot of potential causes for what you are experiencing, I didn't realize your very specific personal experience requirement to reply would be so strictly enforced. I ride agressively as well and I was able to set up a solid suspension on my '06 without incorporating a pinch bolt upper tree system. Hmm, I wonder what people ever did befor the unveiling of the Tour Track and the like. I wish you great sucess setting up your Street Glide for road race curve carving.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:13 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

OP asked about Ohlins forks, chaps. If you have a problem with a different set-up start your own thread, then people who can help will see you need it.

Quick Reply: Any Ohlin front fork update?