Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has pics of Chopped Tour-Pak backrest on a King Tour-Pak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 AM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Who has pics of Chopped Tour-Pak backrest on a King Tour-Pak?

My 09 FLHP has a King Tour-Pak with the smooth backrest mounted on a solo rack where the T-Pak is my backrest.

I find that armrests sometimes hit me when I am leaning the bike. I have read a couple of posts here about guys putting a Chopped backrest on the King T-Pak. I have the needed template; before I drill into this, I would love to see some photos of this setup. Anyone have any?

THx!

Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 PM
jimsuver
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The lids are the same for chopped or king. You might find someone who wants to trade, if the color is right you would have no holes to fill or paint to worry about.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:36 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I put one on my bike. You will need to drill new holes and plug the others.
I don't have a template, I put some silver marker on the bolt ends and placed it where it should go. The silver left some marks, drilled them and it fit perfectly. HD shop refused the job, I can understand why.
It takes some serious thinking and measuring. No templates available, I should have made one, if I ever take it off I'll make one.

Last edited by Holster Maker; 10-26-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:15 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I peeled the cover off, ran bolts through the back board, & hard mounted the rest to the tour pack. My wife likes it better than the bigger backrest.

Attached Thumbnails Who has pics of Chopped Tour-Pak backrest on a King Tour-Pak?-dsc01295.jpg  
Old 10-26-2011, 08:31 AM
broziff
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jinks
I peeled the cover off, ran bolts through the back board, & hard mounted the rest to the tour pack. My wife likes it better than the bigger backrest.
Iam interested on how tou did this. Dont mean to steal this thread. am I understanding this right you eliminated the rubber isolators behind the pad and hard mounted it to the lid?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by boneziff
Iam interested on how tou did this. Dont mean to steal this thread. am I understanding this right you eliminated the rubber isolators behind the pad and hard mounted it to the lid?
That's correct. The rubber isolators only presented a mounting problem & reduced the space for the passenger. I peeled the cover off the backrest, removed the isolators, installed two bolts, drilled matching holes in the cover of the tour pack, & hard mounted the backrest. Make the holes in the backrest *tight*, & use some lock washers to keep the bolts from spinning when you tighten the nut inside the tour pack.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:35 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I really like this sleek little Tour Pak pad C&C seats did up for me when I got my new seat. You can get it with or without the pouch that hangs down.

Attached Thumbnails Who has pics of Chopped Tour-Pak backrest on a King Tour-Pak?-dsc04601.jpg   Who has pics of Chopped Tour-Pak backrest on a King Tour-Pak?-dsc04604.jpg   Who has pics of Chopped Tour-Pak backrest on a King Tour-Pak?-dsc04607.jpg  
Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys.

Holster Maker and Jinks, when you installed the chopped backrest on the King T-Pak:

1. what did you do with the cable that keeps the lid from opening too far?

2. what did you use to plug the existing holes from the King backrest?

3. any chance you have and close-up photos of your work?

When I got my T-Pak it came pre-drilled for the King backrest and where the right side mounts also hold cable mounting plate is on the inside. I am thinking about keeping the stock location for the cable but am looking for something creative and good-looking to cover the 8 holes which are:
-2 vertical in the center will be covered by tape as these will be covered by the chopped pad
-2 horizontal holes on the left side
-4 horizontal holes on the right side...

The left and right holes are what is giving me grief and I can't figure out why on the right side in addition to the 2 bolt holes there are also 2 smaller holes for some plastic rivet things.

THx

Old 10-27-2011, 02:50 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You use the two bolts on the left side for the tether cable holder, so those two holes are plugged. The two on the right side, I popped a couple plastic black plugs in those. The other holes under the new pad was taped closed, which are hidden.
I can measure the new holes for you with the lid open and take a photo. You could actually drill this way, from inside out. Use a small drill first and tape the painted surface. Then just stick the bolt studs thru and tighten them...done!

Old 10-27-2011, 04:57 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

I left the cable just as it came. No change, no problem. The pre-drilled holes I filled with some black plastic button caps from the hardware store. On my Black Pearl it doesn't show enough to be a problem. On your gloss black it may appear as a small dull spot, but I doubt it'll be a problem.

Quick Reply: Who has pics of Chopped Tour-Pak backrest on a King Tour-Pak?