Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arlen Ness Big Sucker and H-D Air Cleaner Trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:53 PM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Arlen Ness Big Sucker and H-D Air Cleaner Trim

I purchased the Arlen Ness Big Sucker (w/o cover) from Dr. V-Twin and I'm about to install it although I have some questions prior to installing.

I am wondering if I am able to use the H-D Air Cleaner decorative collection covers (shown below). I originally planned on using the stock (football) A/C cover although I now have alternate plans.

Is anyone currently using any of the H-D covers with an Arlen Ness Big Sucker? If so would you be able to post pictures so I can see how they fit. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-24-2011, 04:44 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

It should fit, as most of that stuff is made to mount t the air filter the same way, through that center bolt hole---

I'd suggest throwing on the ness first---- then once the filter and backing plate is on, look at that ugly wiring connector on the rear of the throttle body.

the football covers that, other covers may not.

If the sight on the wiring is ok with you ( or you want to buy some kind of accessory cover, then look into getting the air filter cover like the one pictured.

mike

Old 10-24-2011, 05:25 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

If it's the Big Sucker model that accepts the cover (5 bolt holes) like you have posted yes. If not, no.....

Old 10-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,317 Likes on 19,109 Posts

+1 ... Yep ... The connector is kind of fugly .... the football cover does a fair job of hiding it. One thing to remember ... be sure to use some sort of thread locker on the breather bolts that attach the Big Sucker mounting plate to the engine ... ask me how I now this !!!!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:40 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior

I use a Wille G cover over an exposed Big Sucker. Works fine. I'll try to get pictures later. I had to add a couple of washers to "shim" it out a little bit, but a super easy trick and worth it for the look in my opinion. I wish I had pictures handy. But the cover attaches to a mounting piece that the center bolt goes through. The Cover hides the center bolt and is fastened by the 5 hex heads. I needed to put a washer between the air filter and the mounting piece so it would tighten up snug without bending the mounting piece.

Last edited by hougz79; 10-25-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:08 PM
pauly3
Tourer

Originally Posted by hougz79
I use a Wille G cover over an exposed Big Sucker. Works fine. I'll try to get pictures later. I had to add a couple of washers to "shim" it out a little bit, but a super easy trick and worth it for the look in my opinion. I wish I had pictures handy. But the cover attaches to a mounting piece that the center bolt goes through. The Cover hides the center bolt and is fastened by the 5 hex heads. I needed to put a washer between the air filter and the mounting piece so it would tighten up snug without bending the mounting piece.
Thanks for all the replies!

Hougz79, if you could take some pics and post that would be awesome. That will help me see what it will look like when using that cover!

Thanks again!

Old 10-25-2011, 03:16 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior

Best picture I could find, it's an old pic with poor quality. Sorry, in Iraq now so it's the best I could do.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:58 PM
pauly3
Tourer

Originally Posted by hougz79
Best picture I could find, it's an old pic with poor quality. Sorry, in Iraq now so it's the best I could do.
Hougz79, thanks so much again for posting this! I really do like the look and will be doing the same.

Good luck out there bro and Thank You for protecting our Freedom!

Old 10-25-2011, 04:08 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior

Glad to be of assistance. I hope your install goes smoothly. It's pretty cut and dry.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Motown Highwayman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont see the wiring connector showing. Does your set up cover it?
Looks great.

Quick Reply: Arlen Ness Big Sucker and H-D Air Cleaner Trim