Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glide - King choice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Glide - King choice?

I am in the market for a bagger. I need some imput from owners making their case for why they chose a Glide model over a King model. Electra, Road, and Ultra Glide vs Road King, King custom, classic etc Benefitsof one over another?, drawbacks?

Old 11-28-2006, 01:28 PM
rvisdew
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glide - King choice?

for me it was looks ... I liked the Road King Classic ... however, one day I will make a move to the Ultra Classic, but not sure I want to give up the RK ... Most of the road captains in our chapter like the Glides (for solo riding) and the Ultra Classic for two-up ...

Good luck.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:45 PM
hdjoe88
Road Captain

I had an 01 Road King and was not in the market for a new bike, but when I saw the Street Glide, just had to have it. I had an EG before the RK. The SG was just the right combination of both for me. I like the full fairing on the SG but you have the cut down windshield look. In the winter I use a taller windshield.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:54 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

For my 02 - the bikes are so similar that you can really do anything on a King that you can do on a Glide, in terms of Distance riding. Sure the fairing is better than the full windscreen, but you can still get it done with a King and a full screen. I love riding my Dad's King every once in a while and think it looks a hell of a lot better than my Glide. But, I wanted the Radio and the full coverage fairing, and I like looking at the dash and seeing everything, compared to having to look down at the Tank on the King to see what is going on.

I used to think the following - While it isn't perfect, If I had to do it over again, I would have found an old king and then went with a detachable fairing from Deadwood cycles, Hoppe industries, etc. Then it could be 3 bikes in one. A Stripped King for Cruising, a King with a Windshield for intermediate rides, and a King with a full fairing for the long rides.

But now- After having the full Batwing Glide, I'd never not have the Fairing on, it isn't heavy, it has all the instruments, radio and pouches and with a 10" screen I get all the wind that I want, when I want, but it's tall enough to make Highway time relaxing. I'm just so used to it and like having the tunes all the time, that if it was removable, I'd never take it off.

Don't think there is an easy answer.

Except - dont go for a RoadGlide. They are just to damn ugly!!! (Only busting...)

Old 11-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

When I was in the market for a Touring Bike I rented just about every model that I could get my hands on. The wife and I both found the Road Glide to be the best ride of the lot for us. After 30,000+ miles we still feel that way! Your expirience may vary.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:24 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After almost 40k miles on an EGC, 40k+ on an 02 RG, and almost 20k on my 05 RG, I can say that for me.... The RoadGlide is the best choice.

I've never owned a King, but I have logged plenty of miles on them and they are great bikes too.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:56 PM
HarleyArcher
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I wanted a RK really bad, but when I took the wife to look at them they had a EG standard sitting right next to the RK I was looking at. She said "I really like the fairing better than the windshield" I had never looked at the EG because I didn't think it was what I wanted, but if you look at the specs. the RK and EG Standard are identical except for the faring over the windshield. We went with the Standard and LOVE it!!!! I am sure you will be happy with either.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

RK for looks.... like mentioned above, you can get a quick release batwing from hoppe/dead center.... and they look IDENTICAL to the factory piece.

i just dont like the fixed fairing. i prefer to be able to remove/install it when i want to.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:52 PM
gern_blannsten
Advanced

I went with the King for the detachable windshield, cus at the time the glide just made me feel closed in.
BUT the more I see the glides, the more I like them. Maybe next time.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Noble Steed
Advanced

I have logged about 30k on my RK Classic and love it...HOWEVER I rented a Road Glide this summer in CA and put the best 2k miles I have ever ridden onto that bike. If you like the RG look, don't hesitate. Just add the tour pak. That thing rides as straight as a bullet compared to a fork mounted windshield/fairing like the Kings and Electras.

Quick Reply: Glide - King choice?