Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glide - King choice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 11:58 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Glide - King choice?

If your in the market for a budget bagger look at the used police models ether the flhpi (electraglide)or the flhrpi(roadking) these are off lease from different police agency's most of the time they are 1 year old and usually reasonably low millage. they have more chrome than stock if you are a solo rider then you are ready to roll if you are two up then you will have to add rear floorboard's and either a 2 up seat or mustang makes a rear pad that matches the police saddle (the best seat Harley makes) I noticed from your profile you are in the north you may have to come south to have a good selection for a reasonable cost the further south the better You can look on cycletrader.com to locate them

Old 11-30-2006, 10:11 AM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The road king has the most versatility in my opinion.I have the option to cruise around town with the custom apes showing,to listen to my thunderheaders behind my stock windshield or pop on my hoppe fairing with sirius sat. and groove down the highway!The choice is yours rent and ride em!

Old 11-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Point Man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In regards to Sportyrider1's recommendation, he is somewhat correct but if you go for a used police bike, hope you don't get one that has been through a police mototrcycle training school.

The beat the crap out of them and can smoke several clutches during that time, not to mention they puposely drop the bikes many times as part of the training, just ask any MC cop who's been to one of those schools. It may be hard to to but if you can find out what PD the bike came from and can find out it's history, you might make a sounder decision.

The dealers want big bucks for the police bikes but they usually give the PD's squat for them when they trade them even w/ low miles on them....

Just my 2 cents..

Good luck

Old 11-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

i highly doubt a PD (or dealer) would install new engine guards/bag guards on a traded-in police m/c---- which is the tell tale sign that the m/c was used in training... scratches/scrapes will be visible even if the officer covers the guards with something (Like a used fire hose)

i know that all of the training ive gone through- my dept along with the outside agencys all use their oldest, crappiest m/c's for training- since Northwestern University says to 'expect about $1500 in damage' to occur during the 2 weeks.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:05 PM
hawg03
Road Captain

My $.02...had an RK b4, but this one to me is much more comfortable. Test ride first, it's really up to u in the end....u like it, buy it!

Old 11-30-2006, 04:33 PM
mrghos
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Mick

Hey nobody , the prettiest bilkes that I have seen over the years were some kind of Road King variation.
In talking to older guys that put ungodly miles on their bikes , most have been some kind of Electra Glide variation.
For "me" , I think the best value in a Harley of any kind is the Electra Glide Standard.
Since I was a kid , I've been drawn to the "batwing fairing with 3 lights coming at ya" look.
The Standard has everything I wanted and nothing I didn't.
The perfect blank canvas it is to me.
Good luck , it's tough to pick because they're all really nice stuff.
Go with your heart , your brain will lie ocassionally.........
Mick
Ditto. I tested the RK and it seems like you sit on top of that bike. It seems like you sit "in" the EGS.

EGS is the best bike Harley has to offer...

Old 11-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Thumper
Novice

I Chose a Road King over a Glide, because of the bat wing wind shield and the radio. I didn't want all that extra stuff to deal with, long term electrical complication over the simplicity of just just the quick release windshield. A bubby of mine has Glide and loves it. Alwayts shows up with Lynyrd Skynyrd playing. get what u want. They are both great bikes.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:48 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I never ride without listening to the radio. Detachable tourpac makes the bike a lot sleeker for round town or day trips by myself.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:50 AM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

I wanted an ElectraGlide. They look SO good. So do Road Kings. But I really liked the idea of a frame mounted fairing, even if it dooesn't look as good.

I bought a Road Glide. I've spent a ton of money to get it close to the Ultra I really wanted. But after awhile, I started to appreciate the Road Glide, just because it's different than all the RKs and EGs-even if I still think RKs and EGs look more like a Harley than my bike does.

I think some HD riders don't wave to me because they think I'm on some kind of Suzwaki GoldWingStar.

No matter what you get, you'll enjoy it.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

I think the Road King is a good looking bagger. But it has it's limitations if you are into long haul, luxury comfort. Where the Ultra shines. I've done lots of interstate riding on my FLHS (what the RK replaced), but after a couple trips I started thinking it'd be nice to have a radio, nice to have cruise control, nice to have a TourPak, Fairings, Lowers, etc, etc.....

Yeah, you can add them all to the RK, but it'll cost you a whole lot more than just shelling out the bucks for an Ultra.

Quick Reply: Glide - King choice?