Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Tour-Pak LED Light Harness Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 07:10 PM
chicovnvmc
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachable Tour-Pak LED Light Harness Kit

I just purchased a 2011 FLHX Street Glide. I ordered a detachable tour pak with a wrap around LED Light. But while having it installed at my local HARLEY DEALERSHIP, they ran into a snag when the installation instructions they had did not include the particular Quick Connect WIRING HARNESS nor the HD part number needed for my '11 Street Glide.
This happened yesterday (Sat. 22 Oct). They tried until closing at 6pm and told me they'd call Harley on tuesday. Then after they find out, I'll have to reschedule another Service appointment (God know when) for them to finish the job.

I'm really surprised that these professionals haven't a clue.

Has anyone out there been down this road before?
I'd be appreciative of any advice thrown my way.
I would love nothing better than to show up and tell them,
'HERE! THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED!'
Thanks,
Chico

Old 10-23-2011, 07:18 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

I had the same issue with my 2010 SG (see sig pic). I solved it by buying all of the appropiate Molex connectors (male & female) along with colored wire and heat shrink wire wrap, none of which was purchased through the Stealer. I then made my own wiring harness, all connections are contained within the left side cover and run under the seat.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:28 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts
Default I hate to say it but.........

If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Post after post tells the stories of dis-satisfied customers at the local HD stores. You would expect these "professionals" to know what you need for a particular job. But this is such a common occurance it makes you wonder if this isn't part of the MOCO grand plan. You're so much better off doing the homework on these forums, researching the project, gathering up your own parts and doing the job yourself. I know it's not for everybody but the alternative is, you end up frustrated and having to go back and forth to the dealer and in the end spend more time than if you did it yourself.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:34 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Here's the web-site that I bought all my connectors at:
http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.com/index.html

Old 10-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

This link has the installation instructions and service parts list for the LED light bar you probably purchased:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J05090.pdf

The service parts list refers to a Y-harness (item 13; no part number supplied) which plugs in series to the connection under the seat for the rear lighting. It's easy enough to connect and disconnect the portion of the Y-harness that goes to the tour pak (so the tour pak can be removed) with the seat removed, and doing so doesn't disturb the rear lighting on the bike. It may be that the Y-harness was omitted from the kit your dealer received; and, that it's omission is the problem. Tough to blame your dealer for a problem caused by HD.

If you want to be able to connect and disconnect the tour pak's wiring w/o removing the seat, a quick disconnect will need to be fabbed. As previously mentioned, you can use Molex connectors; another good alternative are Deutsch connectors available from a variety of vendors--I use Batts Racing:

http://www.deutschconnector.com/

Here's a thread on making an Ultra tour pak detachable (more involved than the LED light bar since it includes wiring for speakers and passenger controls):

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...etachable.html

Just figure out how many wires need to be used in the quick disconnect, and select the connectors (male and female a/k/a plug and receptacle) and the wire terminals (male and female a/k/a pins and sockets).

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 10-24-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 AM
chicovnvmc
Stage IV
Default Thanks for the good advice

Thanks a lot guys. I've owned Harleys for awhile, My last being a 2004 FXSTI Softail and I still have my '85 FXR.

My new Bagger is all new to me. What a freakin' comfortable ride.
When I purchased it I ordered: Stage 1, V&H head pipes w/4" slip ons, the 4 point detachable docking hardware along with the detachable tour pak w/LED light bar. All labor and installation charges were included in the price. That's the reason for me taking it back to the dealer. But I'm definitely going to take your advice on the Connectors you all mentioned. My Bud has a '92 Ultra Classic, and when we looked at his connections, he has a "Y" Connector (under the seat) that works his lights & rear pod speakers. Only difference I could see was that he has the traditional light bar on his tour pak and not the LED's. So we weren't sure if the same connector would work with mine.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the HD dealership charged me a wopping $362 for my first 1,000 mile check up. RIDICULOUS! Either I'm being too frugal or just plain old school, but from now on I'm looking to do all my follow-up check-ups on my own (or as much as I can do).

Guys, I really thank you for your knowledeable advice. Anything thing else you can add, as always ~ VERY APPRECIATIVE,
Chico

Old 10-24-2011, 08:30 AM
chicovnvmc
Stage IV
Default Correction

My Bud's bike is a 2002 Ultra Classic and not a '92 as I had mentioned.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I didn't know there was a detachable "kit". I thought you had to improvise your own connections.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:51 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio
If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Post after post tells the stories of dis-satisfied customers at the local HD stores. You would expect these "professionals" to know what you need for a particular job. But this is such a common occurance it makes you wonder if this isn't part of the MOCO grand plan. You're so much better off doing the homework on these forums, researching the project, gathering up your own parts and doing the job yourself. I know it's not for everybody but the alternative is, you end up frustrated and having to go back and forth to the dealer and in the end spend more time than if you did it yourself.
damn sad isn't it. I used to wrench on all my old 2 stroke bikes never took anything in, guess im going go start building a tool set and doing stuff myself for peace of mind. It is frustrating. I want to support the dealer but their employees and management make it difficult at times

Old 10-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I edited my original post to note that the Y-harness used for this kit has no part number listed in the service parts list supplied with the kit's installation instructions. If that Y-harness is omitted from the kit, can't see blaming the dealer for HD's mistake.

If that harness is omitted and, because it has no part number, your dealer will need to talk to someone at HD to get one. HD isn't available on week-ends to help, and if your dealer is closed on Mondays, the earliest your dealer can get help is Tuesday.

Before you throw the dealer under the bus, more information is needed.

It's unfortunate that your installation has not gone smoothly, but it should be rectified shortly.

Enoy the new bike and LED light bar.

Carl

Quick Reply: Detachable Tour-Pak LED Light Harness Kit