Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push button fuel door

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012 | 07:49 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer

Originally Posted by SportyPig
My keys and security fob are always in my jeans pocket. Somehow leaving that in the windshield bag doesn't seem a good idea to me. And in the winter, my pockets are covered up with the chaps. Not to mention the push button looks a hell of a lot better.
I hear ya. Again, not trying to pee on anyone's cornflakes. They do look cool and its each person's choice as to the look they want.
I find my keys are pretty good in the right hand top pouch. Handy for gas, my garage door fob., etc.

1HarleyGuy1

Old 06-27-2012 | 07:59 PM
hoops928
Tourer

One of the first things I did, so much simpler, and looks good too

Old 06-27-2012 | 08:17 PM
djaudette
Road Master

One of the first things I did as well. So stupid having a locking fuel door for 6 gals of gas. Lock was a pain in the a** on fuel stops.

Old 06-27-2012 | 08:20 PM
DeputyMike
Tourer

Yep....Works great, easy install.

Old 06-28-2012 | 09:35 AM
jimharvey1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nut08Ultra
My button rattled too. The door was tight, the latch as tight, but the button wiggled and it tinged to the point I took it off and took it back. I installed it right. Even checked it again. Was NOT installed wrong. It was the product.
Ahhh...the BUTTON is what is rattling. I understood the cover (door) to be the culprit. My apologies!

My button definitely does not rattle. My slight annoyance is that I have to depress the button pretty far to get the cover to release. This is impossible with gloves on and actually kinda tough with a bare finger. While the door was open, I slightly depressed the latch tang and the button loosened up where it would rattle with the tang held partially in. Does your button feel tight when the door is opened and is it flush with the top pf the lock, only becoming loose enough to rattle when the door is closed? If so, something may be holding the latch tang from fully extending when the cover is closed. That could be remedied by taking a dremmel sanding wheel and shortening the latch tang a little. I may do that with mine as well to keep from having to depress the button so far.

Old 06-28-2012 | 10:28 AM
PWFD
Road Master

I installed it one day and removed it the next. It rattled like crazy and drove me nuts. I love the idea BUT I couldn't take the noise.

T

Old 06-28-2012 | 10:39 AM
Blueflame1
Tourer

Installed the button ages ago, no problems, no rattle and works great. Get the non-locking version. Easy to install.

Old 06-28-2012 | 10:39 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member

I have the one that doesn't lock and will not switch back.

Dennis

Old 06-28-2012 | 10:40 AM
ssmith579
Tourer

I installed the push button right off the bat the same time I swapped handelbars. Spent a couple months looking for the rattle that was coming from the front. After pulling the fairing off several times and tie wrapping every connector and cable I could find along with removing the gas tank to find the T40 bit I dropped that never hit the floor I thought I fixed the rattle, NOT. Finally figure out it was the stupid push button rattling. Now I just cut a strip of tie wrap and shove it next to the button to stop the rattling.

Old 06-28-2012 | 11:41 AM
Fire1Tex
Advanced

Bought and loved the one from Kuryakyn, but it fell apart 3 months after the install, and by "fell apart" I mean unrepairable. Haven't replaced it yet, glad I held on to the stock lock. May go with the HD version next.

Quick Reply: Push button fuel door