Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push button fuel door

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011 | 07:29 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

The push button works great. If only someone would make a fuel door opening in the other direction........ <sigh>

Old 10-24-2011 | 07:39 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
The push button works great. If only someone would make a fuel door opening in the other direction........ <sigh>

Old 10-24-2011 | 08:59 AM
hardtime1
6th Gear

Might not need to worry about someone stealing you fuel but someone adding something to it(sugar,sand ect)

Old 10-24-2011 | 09:08 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior

I have the push button only one on my SG and the lockable push button one on my RG. The lockable one can be a PITA to open sometimes, especially with cold fingers. Wish I would have just put the push button only one on the RG too. Probably will switch it out over the winter. Never had any problems with either one.

Old 10-24-2011 | 09:15 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Only downside to is is that it vibrates some.

Old 10-24-2011 | 09:27 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Geeze....I understand that nasty stuff can be put in fuel tanks. But if somebody is THAT intent on messing with your bike........do you REALLY think a $20 lock is going to stop them???

Been riding bikes since 1974. Never had anybody dump trash in my fuel tank.

There are SOOOOO many other options wide open to screw up a bike, if somebody really wants to do so.. You folks must hang out in some bad places in the world to be this paranoid.

Me too, even before 1974 even, but seriously, if you're worried about that might want to consider hanging out in different places or changing your attitude when in the presence of people. With your thought processes, this must happen all the time to the Dyna, Softtail, Road King, Sportster and metric crowd, none of those machines come with locking caps. Maybe we should take a poll and see how many gas tanks have been violated.

Old 10-24-2011 | 09:31 AM
Krow
Tourer

Originally Posted by hardtime1
Might not need to worry about someone stealing you fuel but someone adding something to it(sugar,sand ect)
As others have said, any barrel key will open the fuel door. IMO if somebody wants to trash my ride, there are easier and quicker ways for them to do it than fool with the gas. I've never heard of anyone ever having a problem with their fuel being stolen or messed with. Not sayin' it doesn't or can't happen but the smooth button release is so convenient and the keyed system is such a daily pain in the a$$ that I'm willing to take that small risk.

Old 10-24-2011 | 09:57 AM
tidbit1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SportyPig
I didn't see the point in getting the lockable option. I've never had gas stolen from any vehicle. And if somebody wants to steel gas, I would think a cage with 20 gallon tank would be a better target for them.
This Forum need a "like" option on the page. Because Sportypig i "like" your comment too.

Old 10-24-2011 | 10:03 AM
BADBREW
Tourer

Changed to the simiple push button recently. You have to change to the new hinge included to create constant upward pressure so it doesn't rattle. Had it pop open a few times at first after filling up so now after I close it I give the fuel door a lite slap and it hasn't popped open since. Did you know that adding sugar to a gas tank will not ruin the engine? It will simple burn it. No harm done. Best Mod yet.

Old 10-24-2011 | 10:07 AM
cornholio
Tourer

Originally Posted by frenchbiker

Quick Reply: Push button fuel door