Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on RG Evo or TC88

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Comatose
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on RG Evo or TC88

So, other then the new members section this is obviously my first post so bear with me.

I'm looking for my first HD, and i'm deadset on a touring model to replace my current low mile Kawasaki Voyager XII. I've spent the last month pouring over this site and a few others. Getting information on TCs, EVOs, RGs, RKs, EGs, etc etc.

I had pretty much decided that what i wanted to find was either a '96-'98 Road King or '98 Road Glide. I've sat on em all prior and ridden a couple friends' bikes (wide glide / XL1200). But hadnt ridden the RG or RK yet.

So off we went to the dealership today. They didnt really have anything i was looking for exactly. But they did have a 2003 Road Glide, so i figured i might as well take it for a spin just to get an idea of handling characteristics. Options on this one include a DD6 (baker 6 speed i think??) tranny. Screaming eagle jugs i guess at a minimum (had the stamps). Fuel injection w/t powercommander. Vance & Hines True Duals, Tourpack. Pretty HD embossed seat with the adjustable driver rear backrest. Dealership was asking $11.3k, and i got em down to $10k before i even rode it. Oh did i mention it as over 64k miles?

As far as the bike rode, well i loved it, not gonna lie. If i bought it all i would need to add is some lowers and a taller windscreen. But hears the problem.... even at $10k thats still $2-$3k more then i had really wanted to spend on a bike. Which is one of the reasons i was looking at older models, not that they really seem to be much cheaper.

Now the dealer guy (Bam, nice guy btw but arent they all), tells me that i can test ride a RK (they got one thats traded in but has to go through service first) but swears up and down, if i love the RG then i wont so much like the RK... still enjoy it, but no comparison. I'm stubborn btw, i will ride one before i buy anything.

Anyway, i am pretty much sold on an RG. But should i continue holding out for a '98? Pretty sure ima have to do some traveling, as there doesnt appear to be any in this area. Or is the '03 RG that great of a deal with 64k miles on it, even with all the extras?

Those of you that live in other areas of the country, bear in mind that for some reason in the Albuquerque area, people seem to think crap is worth gold around here.

Back to the title prices being just about even should i hold out for a '98 and pay about the same as a TC88? Or just drop the cash for the newer bike?

-coma

forgot to mention-
The other RG's i am possibly looking at are both located in the Pheonix area (easy to check out/pick up as my dad currently lives down there).
first is actually a 1993 Tour Glide with 37k miles asking $5k looks to be bone stock but has a radio
and the other is a 1998 Road Glide with EFI (not sure i want fuel injection on any bike and that includes the '03) it has 14k miles and hes asking $9k and this ones got the tourpak and soft sidebags 95th anny edition.

Last edited by Comatose; 10-23-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 10-23-2011, 12:39 AM
michael427
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd go for the 88. The twin cams are a good improvement from the evos. It sounds like a nice roady. The road king is the same bike without a fairing. Be sure to see if the cam tensioners have been replaced. Cam tensioner wear is about the only problem the 88's have.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:04 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The TC88 is very good, if you get the Delphi fuel injection, it's excellent. Cam chain tensioner change OR to gear drive is a great tip.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:53 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

...and I think the evo tried and true.

I waited to the 09 model to sell my 1995 EG Classic--- in between, there was not any advantage ( to me) in the newer bikes--- I don't think the motor controls were much better than a carb--- and at least I am pretty good at tuning the CV carb.

( and I know millions of twin cams out there are great- but the changes were not worth the switch based on my needs and budget)

very few complaints with the evo motors, some guys say change the lifter at 40K-- I've had 2 evos roll over 80K with no problems.

the evo could be a good bargain as well if it's been taken care of--- and no guarantee any used bike is taken care of.

all the touring series bikes of a same year share drivetrain and frame, suspension-- the only change is how much fiberglass is hanging on it.

--which affects how the bike handles, and how the rider is exposed or shielded from the elements.

take your time-- lots of bikes out there.

BTW my 95 EG Classic sold at $6500 last year 80K miles, service records from new. some added racks and useful stuff- that'll give you an idea of prices in the PHX area-

that '93 could be ok- if it's the one I'm thinking about in Glendale his ads been running for more than a month or 2--- he has dropped the price, but you gotta ask the questions, his pics are 10 years old.

and, anniversary anything isn't worth a premium--- in 2003 H-D sold 420,000 100th anniversary bikes, they extended the model year to 15 months to match the "anniversary mania" sales

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-23-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:52 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

The 95th anniversary edition paint is gorgeous.....

Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Comatose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mkguitar
, but you gotta ask the questions, his pics are 10 years old.
I think she doesnt know how to set the date in her camera they are all 01/01/2001.

Anyway I called and spoke to the lady selling it, she really doesnt know a whole lot about bikes which worries me a little. Basically said she bought it a year ago and it was her daily. Said she only washed it twice in the last year but there are no leaks and it runs great.

My dad should be over there soon to take a look and a bunch of pics as hers.... kinda suck.

The attractiveness on this bike is that i think i can scrape the funds together and just do cash without financing. As opposed to the others which i will need to have a payment.

AS far as TC88s, not sure i can trust the dealership to know whether the cam chain has been checked / fixed etc. I've read through replacing etc, and not sure i have the time, will be starting second job here soon. Cost to pay someone to do it? Guess i can call the dealership on tuesday.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:23 PM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
The 95th anniversary edition paint is gorgeous.....
Agreed. I rode an Ironbutt this past summer with a guy that had a '95th Ultra and it was awesome looking.

mikebaby

Old 10-23-2011, 10:36 PM
10Seconds
Cruiser

Well I have been biting my tounge but I still love the Evo motor. You can get plenty of power, great reliability and way less heat!

I have a cam'd, etc 80" Evo EG that will run with any stock 96 TC, and I have a S&S 107" Evo style motor in my other bike that I will put up against any TC motor.

I still think that money and legal issues brought us the TC, not any improvement in engineering or performance

Old 10-23-2011, 10:36 PM
10Seconds
Cruiser

Well I have been biting my tounge but I still love the Evo motor. You can get plenty of power, great reliability and way less heat!

I have a cam'd, etc 80" Evo EG that will run with any stock 96 TC, and I have a S&S 107" Evo style motor in my other bike that I will put up against any TC motor.

I still think that money and legal issues brought us the TC, not any improvement in engineering or performance