Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

its a shame

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 PM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default its a shame

Just picked up my bike after having some warr.work found out that the service manager is leaving, i.had a great relationship with him.alway treated me right,hes going to work at a car dealer to make more money.just sux that the bike industry pays so low to work on high priced bikes.it affects the quality of work that gets done.there should be a higher pay scale in the bike industry or aleast close to the car side

Old 10-22-2011, 09:29 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whats a bigger shame is the dealers charging $90 an hour. If the service techs are getting low wages then the dealership is raking it in

Old 10-22-2011, 09:35 PM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain

This is true,i know here in ny its a seasonal biz but they keep busy all year pretty much,workin 6 days in the summer

Old 10-22-2011, 09:56 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

When I was growing up in the auto repair industry, mechanics typically got flat rate for jobs @ approx 50% of the shops hourly rate. Then consider that, on average, a good mechanic could beat the flat rate by about 30%. That was pretty good money.

I wonder what these HD mechanics are getting paid as an hourly rate these days?

With the dealers charging anywhere from $75 and up, you'd think that in order to attract the best mechanics, the dealers ought to be paying in the neighborhood of $35 - $40 an hour. I really doubt that is the case.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:03 PM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain

You would think that they would want the best of the best,but doesnt seem that way

Old 10-22-2011, 11:16 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s

With the dealers charging anywhere from $75 and up, you'd think that in order to attract the best mechanics, the dealers ought to be paying in the neighborhood of $35 - $40 an hour. I really doubt that is the case.
they might be. but the mechanic isn't getting paid for the time that he's on the clock, he's getting paid for the clock hours of the jobs he's doing. so if he only gets one cam job for the week, then he's only gonna get about 6 hrs (or whatever the book rate is for that job) for the week. hard to support a family on that.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:44 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Quite a few are only making $12-14 or around $25-30k/year to start and don't go above $16-18. They generally move on long before they can reach that anyway. Owners pushing them to get things done quicker so dealer can have more bikes in and out and make more money. That's why things get overlooked or phucked up all the time. It's all about the money, screw the service.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:57 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by speedwaysteve
hes going to work at a car dealer to make more money.
Theres a lot more money to be made with a good auto dealer .Good service writers and techs can make some big bucks.
As a Chevy tech,my son was making $30 per hour(base)working flat rate.Now working as a union tech for public transit.$32.50 per hour starting pay,less work.
His friend is a SW for a well known Toyota dealership.Think he's making $90K plus.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 10-23-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:04 AM
rlaf75
Tourer

When I was growing up in the auto repair industry, mechanics typically got flat rate for jobs @ approx 50% of the shops hourly rate. Then consider that, on average, a good mechanic could beat the flat rate by about 30%. That was pretty good money.

im an auto mechanic and could only dream of making half of the shop labor rate. Nowhere close. The dealers want their cake and eat it too. They want top notch service techs but wont pay shiznit for it. Not sure how bike industry is but cars it about how much work you turn out in the least amount of time. Flat rate is, the tech get paid say 4hrs for a job. If that job takes him less time or longer the tech gets paid for that 4hrs. Top notch techs can make great money but they work like dogs and hopefully without any problems on that particular job. And they dont get paid anywhere close to half the labor rate. Its all about dealers making money

Old 10-23-2011, 09:20 AM
dwg1956
Tourer

I work in a GM dealer in the service department. Assistant service manager. Our labor rate is 100.00 top paid man in the shop is 25.00 flat rate.

Quick Reply: its a shame