Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange trip to the dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Hobbymike
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 2011 limited with custom paint with no miles in August of this year for 20499 OTD at house of harley in milwaukee!

Old 10-22-2011, 10:05 PM
01Byte
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hobbymike
I bought my 2011 limited with custom paint with no miles in August of this year for 20499 OTD at house of harley in milwaukee!
can you shed some light on this deal? did they offer this discount from the start? how were you able to get them down that low (I'm assuming it's with freight and setup)?

Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by murlsquirl
I rode to the Street Vibrations rally in Reno, NV and spent the whole damn time negotiating on the trade in of my Night Train for a Road Glide instead of riding.
Is that why you went to the rally? I was there too and spent most of the daylight hours riding - Carson City, Virginia City, around Tahoe, etc.
That dealer, and probably the scoot, would have been there before or after SV.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:19 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Byte
Went for a ride today and stopped by one of the larger HD dealerships in the area. I've been thinking of trading my 2011 Ultra Classic for a 2012 Ultra Limited so I figured I'd kill a Saturday getting my bike appraised and seeing what the numbers would look like.
Just curious as to what it is about the Limited that would make it worthwhile to trade in an '11 Ultra Classic? Given the depreciation in the first year it seems like it couldn't work out (financially) for the buyer.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:20 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I got 10,500 for my '05 EG Classic with 42,000 miles, and paid 24,800 for a 2012 Limited and didn't pay for any setup or shipping. Seems like they really didn't want to do business with you.

I also don't see why you would want to trade with so few miles on your Ultra. You really would not benefit that much from the upgrade. Chrome wheels, heated grips and different gauges are about it except for the 103, and you can equal or surpass the power difference with just cams and a Power Commander.

Bill

Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

That is about normal for most dealers. If you trade in a newer bike, you are going to get hosed.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Daddio
Tourer

Originally Posted by robbie52
That is about normal for most dealers. If you trade in a newer bike, you are going to get hosed.
You almost always take a beating from a dealer when "trading in"...
To hear the dealers tell it, THEY take a beating...they say it costs them to inspect and clean up and "market" the bike...in man hours and dollars...plus they figure the bike depreciates while it sits around waiting to get sold...their profit margin is almost non-existant....boo-hoo.
I realize dealers are in business to make $$$ but sometimes they think Harley customers have to kiss their *** and take it or leave it.

I feel you are always better off selling your own bike outright...its bad enough trying to bargain with a dealer on buying a new bike, let alone trying to get a fair price on a trade-in.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:39 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree that it could just possibly be the dealer knows he can sell that bike for $24,000. There is a sales manager at one the the local dealers here, I have done deals, and talked about deals with for many years.

He is always straight with me, and usually makes me a good offer. Recently, I asked him about a bike, and he gave me a price that I thought was uncharacteristically high from him. When I said...man, I said give me a good price!! His reply was, that's the best I can do on that bike. With that color, options, etc etc. I will get above list price for that bike, and it will sell in less than a week. And he was right. I appreciated him telling me there wasn't really an option for a "good deal" on that specific bike.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:42 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I get a type of "twisted joy" out of leaving dealers (cars, bikes, etc.,) with their inventory intact after receiving similar treatment.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:29 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hobbymike
House of Harley is a great dealer. Stopped by there last year when at the Museum.

Back to the OP, if you put the 8G difference into your bike, you can make it a Limited and THEN some, easy. Look at it as an unanswered prayer.

Quick Reply: Strange trip to the dealer...