Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta get used to the extra weight!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Twice so far I noticed the weight difference between my Street Glide and my other bikes. 1st time was the second day I owned her and had to stop dead while in the middle of making a sharp U Turn to the left while on a very steep sloping to the left gravel road. The bike was leaned way over to the left, then because of some idiot who decided to go around me in a different direction I had to stop right in the middle of the slow speed turn. Foot was sliding on the gravel, and the lean angle on the downward slope was a lot for my inseam to make up. I wasn't about to let my new bike go down, but I can tell you I was a bit sore and gained a new respect for the weight of the otherwise unnoticable difference. The second time was when a very vey attractive but very tall and big boned lady friend asked for a ride home. We were stopped on a very steep Mountain road and she was jabbering away and moving around so much that she distracted me. I went to start forward on that very steep hill from a dead stop and realized I was in second gear and she died and stopped abruptly. All while my friend was leaning way over to the side to keep jabbering in my ear and blowing on my neck. That one was close. In more ways than one! It's just a matter of learning the limitations of what your riding as in anything. The limitations of your new bike, and your own. She feels light as a feather to me now, provided I don't press those limitations.

Last edited by Rickr01; 10-26-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:03 PM
ssmith579
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My ultra can be a bit of a handful if I don't time putting my feet down right, especially with someone on the back. The rear floorboards don't allow much room to move your feet around. I'm 5'7" so until I get the seat modified I don't even get my heals on the ground. The good part is now my 92 FXR feels really small.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is like a Bad Hair Cut...It takes time for things to start looking better.

I am almost 60. Bought a new 07 Ultra after NOT riding for 30 years. I am kind of extreme about science and reading. I will offer the following suggestions. Use what you want it is up to you.

#1. Take the MSF course if you haven't already.
#2. Ride Like A Pro DVD. (It will help you, regardless of what some will say)
#3. Read what Harris Neal and Jerry Paladino say about slow police style riding.
#4. Read David Hough's book on Proficient Motorcycling.
#5. Wrap the engine guards and go practice in a high school parking lot after hours.
#6. Watch You Tube Videos on Motorman (Police) Rodeos, to get an idea of what you can do with proper training.

You have received very good advice from others on this forum take it and approach this from the scientific standpoint. The friction zone, Brake, and Head up Eyes up will make you a better rider. Most who disagree have never tried it or don't practice it. Good Luck

Old 10-26-2011, 08:43 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,648 Likes on 8,462 Posts

Originally Posted by Nellybelle
It is like a Bad Hair Cut...It takes time for things to start looking better.

I am almost 60. Bought a new 07 Ultra after NOT riding for 30 years. I am kind of extreme about science and reading. I will offer the following suggestions. Use what you want it is up to you.

#1. Take the MSF course if you haven't already.
#2. Ride Like A Pro DVD. (It will help you, regardless of what some will say)
#3. Read what Harris Neal and Jerry Paladino say about slow police style riding.
#4. Read David Hough's book on Proficient Motorcycling.
#5. Wrap the engine guards and go practice in a high school parking lot after hours.
#6. Watch You Tube Videos on Motorman (Police) Rodeos, to get an idea of what you can do with proper training.

You have received very good advice from others on this forum take it and approach this from the scientific standpoint. The friction zone, Brake, and Head up Eyes up will make you a better rider. Most who disagree have never tried it or don't practice it. Good Luck
Yep, what he said. We all know this can be done on a full grown Harley with time in the saddle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pJxOsYh12yY

It takes practice.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:39 AM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent advice from many. Like a couple others mentioned, going from the Heritage to the Ultra was a dream for me personally. My girl was concerned about the weight and bulk differential, but from the first ride (on my own vs. several rentals), it felt so natural for me. The handling was easier on the EG than the ST, due primarily to the difference in the front end design. It does take pre-incident circumstantial awareness and preparation.

Paladino 'technique' and practice:
1- friction zone
2- look where you want to go vs. where the bike is headed
3- feet up as quickly and as long as possible to make rider and machine a single balancing entity.

For me, each of those items seemed unnatural at first, but they work -- principles of applied physics in action....

Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zoozoo
Yep, what he said. We all know this can be done on a full grown Harley with time in the saddle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pJxOsYh12yY

It takes practice.
When you watch this notice his torso, his back is always upright.

I think wearing the tall boots helps you ride like this too