Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hog Tunes for FLHTCU

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 06:36 PM
chaney66
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hog Tunes for FLHTCU

About 2 months ago I have hog tunes installed on my bike from a Harley dealer, front/rear speakers and amp. After a few days I started the bike and no sound from speakers, shut bike down, re-started speakers came on, this happened several time during the next few weeks, also every once in a while while starting bike the speakers would have a high pitch sound coming out and would not stop (very loud), had to shut bike down and re-start, and the last thing straw was when I started the bike only the rear speakers came on. I returned to the dealer and explained the problem, they checked everything, could not find any problems, took the bike home and still same problems, more with no sound out of speakers than anything, shut bike down, start back up and all ok. I returned bike again, they still could not find a problem, looking for any suggestions, thanks. Chris

Old 10-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,967 Likes on 19,387 Posts

I'd be touching base with Hog Tunes to get their two cents worth .... maybe there is something going on that they might know about.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:59 AM
porterjet
Tourer

I had a problem with my hogtunes last year. The radio just started cutting out, got worse and worse. Took it to the dealer for regular service and squawked the hogtunes since they had installed it. They found that the install was not right, the weight of the amp was pulling on the harness. The tech rerouted the harness to where it was supposed to be and all was well.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:40 AM
tp09flhtcu
Intermediate

Originally Posted by porterjet
I had a problem with my hogtunes last year. The radio just started cutting out, got worse and worse. Took it to the dealer for regular service and squawked the hogtunes since they had installed it. They found that the install was not right, the weight of the amp was pulling on the harness. The tech rerouted the harness to where it was supposed to be and all was well.
I'll be on the look out for that when I have mine done.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:36 AM
rallyrat
Advanced

Had a similar problem on my 08 Ultra with Hogtunes ultra kit, contacted Pez at Hogtunes and he knew exactly what the problem was. Lucky for me they aare about a 2 hour ride away, so took a trip and stopped in one day. They pulled the amp and tweaked something in it and all is fine now. Shot Pez a email and i'm sure he will look after you he's a great guy to deal with.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:53 AM
robandlyn
Road Master

Damm .... I have also had this problem too ! I have the 8 speaker setup and this Summer I started having this stuff happen. My is fine for about 20 min then it cuts out. I turn off the radio and turn it back on and the radio works fine for another maybe 20 min. Sometimes I have only the rear speakers or just the right side or left side. I was just getting ready to send it off to Iron Cross to look at it. I think I will unplug the Hogtune Amp and see if it still helps.
Rob ......

Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Tell the dealership if they can't fix it, to pull the Hog Tunes and give you your money back. It doesn't matter if it is a Hog Tunes problem or and installation problem. Either way it is their problem.
Tell them to fix it or pull it... Now.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Hobbymike
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a amp problem

Old 10-23-2011, 06:29 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The next time the sound cuts out try flipping the 3-way speaker switch and see if it helps.

Shortly after I mounted Hogtune tweeters the auto started cutting out on my '09 FLTHCU as well.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:41 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chaney66
About 2 months ago I have hog tunes installed on my bike from a Harley dealer, front/rear speakers and amp. After a few days I started the bike and no sound from speakers, shut bike down, re-started speakers came on, this happened several time during the next few weeks, also every once in a while while starting bike the speakers would have a high pitch sound coming out and would not stop (very loud), had to shut bike down and re-start, and the last thing straw was when I started the bike only the rear speakers came on. I returned to the dealer and explained the problem, they checked everything, could not find any problems, took the bike home and still same problems, more with no sound out of speakers than anything, shut bike down, start back up and all ok. I returned bike again, they still could not find a problem, looking for any suggestions, thanks. Chris
Chris that's an interesting problem and one that I am familiar with, but maybe for a different reason. I run the Hogtunes 6 speaker kit plus tweeter pod with the newer 160 watt amp.
I found that if I used the run/stop button on the right controls to shut off the motor then turned the ignition off, and on re-start turned the ignition to 'on' and flipped the run/stop switch to 'run', I would get a terrible squealing/inerference sound from the speakers.
My fix was to always set the run/stop switch to 'run' before turning on the ignition switch. The only way I could get it to stop after it started squealing was to turn the HK system 'off' then shut the bike down and restart with the radio off at first.

I don't know if this matches your problem or not but thought I'd put it out there. FWIW I haven't had the 'squealing' issue since using the latter on/off procedure.

Quick Reply: Hog Tunes for FLHTCU