Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were the exhaust nut.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 AM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dropped one of those small brass ferrules that goes around the end of the throttle cables, inside the throttle housing. It was on the floor about 10 feet away - of course I had the bright idea to lube my cables the night before a ride...found it with the flashlight technique and laying on the garage floor...

Funny how dropped things seem to have a mind of their own.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I had a similar experience happen with a 5/16 socket inside my bat wing. It come of the extension, and fell. I must have spent an hour looking for that socket. First I tried some magnets. That didn't work to well as the magnets grabbed all ferrous metal surfaces inside the batwing. Next I tried compressed air, no luck. Mirrors, no luck.
Looked all over the floor of the garage, in case it fell out and I didn't hear it.
Feeling like I wasted enough time on this socket, i decided to button everything back up, and do a test ride. As I reached the end of the driveway, I heard the socket hit the front fender.
Wish I would have just turned the bike upside down and shook it as another poster suggested. It would have saved a lot of time and frustration!

Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
I was a hollow dowel pin in a valve cover on my owners 2001 Roadstar.He removed the rear valve cover and I slipped out and I fell down an oil galley.It was a scary fall down into the crankcase!
What are the odds? Did you break the motor down, or go for help on that one?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Golden State
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, lets say the nut fell on the belt.... and i moved the bike forward... i guess what im asking is, is it possible for the nut to fall into the crankcase? meaning i'd have to remove the cover, etc? i wish i had someone close by to help me out. should I just replace the nut, finish the install and just take it for a test ride?

Old 12-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden State
ok, lets say the nut fell on the belt.... and i moved the bike forward... i guess what im asking is, is it possible for the nut to fall into the crankcase? meaning i'd have to remove the cover, etc? i wish i had someone close by to help me out. should I just replace the nut, finish the install and just take it for a test ride?
The crankcase? No.

It could get lost behind the primary cover, but would likely fall out. If you're worried about losing one of flange nuts down into the frame, just lay a shop rag over the transmission to catch it.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:17 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick's Ultra
I had a similar experience happen with a 5/16 socket inside my bat wing. It come of the extension, and fell. I must have spent an hour looking for that socket. First I tried some magnets. That didn't work to well as the magnets grabbed all ferrous metal surfaces inside the batwing. Next I tried compressed air, no luck. Mirrors, no luck.
Looked all over the floor of the garage, in case it fell out and I didn't hear it.
Feeling like I wasted enough time on this socket, i decided to button everything back up, and do a test ride. As I reached the end of the driveway, I heard the socket hit the front fender.
Wish I would have just turned the bike upside down and shook it as another poster suggested. It would have saved a lot of time and frustration!
Dropped a socket into my '04 Wide Glide's primary while adjusting the chain tension. Fortunately I have long fingers That was one of those "oh $%it" moments. Doesn't top the dowel pin into the oil galley though. Ouch.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Golden State
Cruiser

has anyone ever dropped the flange nut into the exhaust port? ie, into the motor? If so... how did you manage to get it out? What happens if you drop it in there?

I'm 99% mine fell in some crevice on the motor... when i get home tonight i'll use a magnet on a stick to poke around. To make sure, I put my finger inside the exhaust port and I didnt feel anything, felt like it was impossible to fall in there because the hole was plugged up with whatever is supposed to be in there (not a mechanic...don't know motorcycle motors that well....yet).

Thoughts?

The guy at the Harley Dealership said not to worry too much about it. Said there was no way it could actually end up inside the motor... it'll probably fall off when riding (shake loose). He said, just put a new flange nut on there and finish the install of the propipe.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Golden State
Cruiser
Default Got it!

Went to Auto Zone, picked up 2 things.

1.) A long bendable light probe
2.) A retractable magnet stick thingy

Stuck the magnet stick in a spot where I suspected it might be but never could get my fingers in.... and boom... I heard a "click" sound... like something had just stuck to it. Then stuck the light probe into the area, and sure enough... I GOT THAT RAT BASTARD NUT! Woooohoooo. Now I can finish my 2into1 propipe install!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI .... Granite finished epoxy floors are not conducive to finding any type of fastener that is dropped. Don't ask me how I know.

I'm gonna remember that rolling flashlight trick, thanks. Sounds easier than laying on my side to scan the floor.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:21 PM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when i cant find one that dropped i always drop another from the same spot and watch where it goes and then search that area and anywhere close mostly works for me