Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Denim Paint care with Windex

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:35 PM
bgdv1
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 70 Posts

i use a aerosol glass cleaner from my local glass shop and a micro fiber towel or and old bath towel. have 6200 miles on the SG this year and a lot of cleaning and no harm yet.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:17 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,272 Likes on 2,492 Posts

Originally Posted by bpage33
I know that they want to sell their own cleaner, but when i was trading in the fatboy (denim) for the street glide (denim), they told me not use window cleaner because most contain iodine? I cleaned the fatboy with it several times and never saw any problems so i figured it didnt hurt then why not keed using it. Anyone ever hear anything bad about using window cleaner?
most glass cleaner contains ammonia not iodine. the owner's manual specifies that you use glass cleaner with ammonia on the denim paint, but glass cleaner without ammonia on the windshield. a lot of people tend to get that morphed into one, 'don't use ammonia on the bike'.....

i use windex with ammonia to clean the bike, but then i go over it with the harley gloss and it gives it just a little bit of 'shine' and evens out the black. makes it look like it did when it was in the showroom.

The following users liked this post:
Bearfan (09-26-2016)
Old 12-17-2011, 09:21 PM
ickkey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I've tried them all, windex, rubbing alcohol, zippo lighter fluid and what I found that works best for me for getting off those oily greasy finger prints is the harley denim paint cleaner with a soft cotton cloth.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:03 AM
ixlr8
Intermediate
Talking flames in the denim

Originally Posted by ickkey
Man I've tried them all, windex, rubbing alcohol, zippo lighter fluid and what I found that works best for me for getting off those oily greasy finger prints is the harley denim paint cleaner with a soft cotton cloth.
Soooooo, do we light the lighter fluid or let it evaporate?

Old 12-18-2011, 08:34 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You may also want to search the Dyna forum. There's plenty of info there on this topic.

Good luck.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:24 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,272 Likes on 2,492 Posts

Originally Posted by ickkey
Originally Posted by ixlr8
totally non related but true story: i grew up on the beach in fl. when stripping wax off of your surfboard, we used to use gasoline. well, there was this real douchebag that no one could stand who wanted to strip his board and asked us what was the easiest way. we told him gas. so he pours gas on his board and then lights it... he gave up surfing after that

Old 12-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
No paper towel ever! Microfiber or cotton only.
I've been using Lemon Pledge on my bikes for years and it works great. Lots of guys swear by it too.
I don't know about denim paint though. Try on a small/hidden spot and see if it works.
My Son uses Pledge on His 08 Black Denim Dyna. His paint still looks new after 4yrs.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:07 AM
ickkey
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ixlr8
The zippo thing I came across by accident. Was doing a stage 4 on my 011 SG and was finishing things up one day when I decide to take off the harley emblems on the tank. They use double stick tape to hold those baby's on. So I doused some of the zippo lighter fluid to dissolve the sticky tape and I had greasy finger prints all over the tank from working on the bike for last week and a half and when I wiped her down and it came out beautiful, no finger prints, no stickiness from the tape just a nice clean flat look! But I use that harley denim paint cleaner for general cleaning of the bike. When I used windex it left streaks for some reason.