Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:58 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I only wish the "25%" was quantified in terms of standard specifications:

X dB @ 1 watt @ 1 meter

any claims other than that are voodoo.

mike

Old 10-21-2011, 12:09 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I've been using the HogTunes speakers for over 13 years and love them. Maybe that's why Harley isn't selling their Boom speakers - for one reason they are way overpriced compared to Hogtunes and J&M and other aftermarket speakers. Last year I finally decided to try an amp(HogTunes) and their 7" woofers in the fairing lowers. WOW what a difference over the stock H-D set up. If I go over 50% volume my ears bleed. LOL

My personal opinion = you really don't need an amp.

The one thing that has me curious is the bass port gizmo for the rear speakers. I might try those with the HogTunes speakers.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:09 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I got a lot of bang for my buck. Bought them in the classifieds for $75. Woot.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:15 PM
CarbideDude
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
I've been using the HogTunes speakers for over 13 years and love them. Maybe that's why Harley isn't selling their Boom speakers - for one reason they are way overpriced compared to Hogtunes and J&M and other aftermarket speakers. Last year I finally decided to try an amp(HogTunes) and their 7" woofers in the fairing lowers. WOW what a difference over the stock H-D set up. If I go over 50% volume my ears bleed. LOL

My personal opinion = you really don't need an amp.

The one thing that has me curious is the bass port gizmo for the rear speakers. I might try those with the HogTunes speakers.
Yeah HogTunes was my first experiment for my Street Glide. The Boom speakers are much much much better IMO. If you've been using them 13 years, unless you added an amp or an upgrade, then you are still running the old stereo with low wattage.

A friend has a J&M system in his Road Glide - only 2 speakers with the J&M amp - and they are incredible. As good as mine or better even though mine has twice the number of speakers. I'm glad I am very pleased with just the speaker upgrade because I didn't want to tax my system with an amp on this bike. I've had my heated gear and heated grips kick off before, forcing me to choose between comfort and music.

Another thing I like about Boom is that they are the same size as the stock speakers so they don't need a special adapter. I think the J&M's are oversize.

I think the main reason the Boom speakers are not more popular is that these models just came out in 2010. Harley was very late to market with stereo upgrades, and aftermarket competitors have already worked their way into dominating this niche.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:37 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

I like em, a lot of BOOM for the buck, big improvement

Old 10-21-2011, 03:41 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

'Dude, I've had 3 sets of speakers in the last 13 years - not the same ones. My new 6 speaker/amp set up in from a couple months ago. This is the first time I've used an amp and in my opinion - I really don't need it.

The very first set of aftermarket speakers I bought were J&M's.

The HogTunes are direct replacements - no mods at all. J&M's are just a little bit bigger and require special brackets.

The 7" HogTunes woofers did require some modifications to the storage compartments though, but oh that wonderful bass is out of this world.

You're completely right about H-D getting in late on upgrade speakers. I almost went with H-D set up this time because I didn't want to wait a week, but when I saw the price AND the installation cost, I almost had a heart attack. Besides only one of the H-D dealers in the Chicago area even had them, and it was the dealer farthest away.

The nice thing about Hogtunes is the well written instructions and the installation videos. I was able to do the whole install in about 6 hours including removing the gas tank to run the power cable.

Last edited by GARY DYER; 10-21-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:33 PM
swinestein
Intermediate

Can my stock stereo run the speakers in the lowers (for more bass) without going with an amp?

This has been the most helpful thread I've read so far and I think I've made up my mind to go with Boom Speakers and not go with an amp.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,832 Likes on 19,326 Posts

I installed the set of Boom Speakers along with the Bass Port Kit and am almost 100% satisfied .... the only problem I have encountered so far is that when I'm going 60 mph and crank up the stereo the bike magically goes faster ... must be the speakers!

Old 10-22-2011, 05:12 PM
fordradio
Intermediate

Installed the Boom fairing speakers today, fired up some tunes and wow! Really night and day difference between these and my stock SG speakers, very happy with the result.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:31 PM
xjayx
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have the boom audio speakers with no amp, they sound great and have more than enough volume. Would definitely buy these again.

Jay

Quick Reply: Boom speakers