Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting a bike with a PC-III

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 12:14 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting a bike with a PC-III

I searched for something on this and couldn't really find anything so figured I'd ask. I have a PC-III on my '07 Ultra and recently swapped it out for some Xieds. After a month or so of riding, I like the Xieds but still get some detonation. Power and response seems to be OK. So...one of the reasons I like the Xieds was that starting and idle seem much better with them than the PC-III. Example: when I start the bike with the Xieds installed, the top rpms the motor hits after it catches is about 1600-1800 for a couple of seconds and then it settles down to a normal idle. Idling, the bike seems very smooth and the idle is consistent. I do the normal startup procedure of waiting until the engine light goes out.

Starting with the PC-III, I cannot wait until the light goes out or the bike will not start first try, it sneezes through the intake and will start on the second try. Also, the rpms jump to 2000-2200 and then the bike settles down to idle. Idle is not as consistent with the PC-III and the bike shakes more than normal at idle. The idle can vary 100-200 rpms up or down and I can't really find any correlation to anything, like engine temperature, etc. The rpm jump at initial start bothers me in that the motor is cold and makes more lifter noise at initial start when revved that high. Power and responsiveness seem to be better with the PC-III, but not a by a huge amount which doesn't really matter much to me, for my riding style, it's fine. I get zero detonation on the map I am currently running, which is one I found on another forum that someone posted for another 2007 touring model but was dyno'd. Not sure the poster should have done that, but don't know what the "copyright" laws on posting maps are, if any. The bike runs really well (better than with the Xieds) but the starting and idling issues really suck.

So, long post to ask a simple question: when starting a bike with a PC-III, do you wait for the engine light to go off or not? Is there any way to change the high rpm jump at initial start with a PC-III?

My PC-III is installed with the O2 sensor eliminators from Dynojet and I have removed the O2 sensors and installed plugs in the exhaust bungs. Bike just has an SE AC with a K&N filter and some CVO slips.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I'm confused - if you have elminated the sensors, don't the XIEDS install *into* the sensor loop?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:19 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I'm confused - if you have elminated the sensors, don't the XIEDS install *into* the sensor loop?
Sorry, two situations: I was trying to describe my setup with the PC-III installed and with the Xieds. I now have the Xieds installed with the sensors "*into* the sensor loop".
Michigan Riders Social Group
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
".

Old 10-20-2011, 05:30 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

with the pc111 dont wait for the light start it right away.as for the rpm and rough idol both should be able to be corrected with proper mapping.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:42 PM
amabeetle
Cruiser

Yes, I have 07 touring with PC3 also... start immediately while you hear injectors or wait about 15 seconds for PC to reset before starting. Mine works great and starts perfect as long as I start immediately after giving it power, you can also dial out detonation with ignition timing settings. Good luck

Amabeetle

Old 10-20-2011, 05:45 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You just need a better map.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:08 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You need a map that is dialed in closer to what you are running. Call fuel moto they will help you with this.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 PM
anickel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine sneezes if I try to start right away, if I wait for pump to stop (5 seconds or so) it starts right up. I dont know if fuel moto will help you out if you didn't buy from them. If not one of the dyno jet guys visits the other forum regularly and helps people out.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:09 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

Thanks all for the replies - I thought I read somewhere not to wait for the light with an aftermarket "piggyback" fuel management device but I wasn't sure.

amabeetle - I don't get any detonation at all and above idle the bike runs good. Really the only issues I had were the huge jump in rpms at startup and the wandering idle. The wandering idle may be something else too and I guess I shouldn't blame the PC-III until I know for sure.

I will see if I can get a better map to resolve these issues or save up for a dyno tune. Thanks all for the replies.

EDIT - anickel - I'll give that a shot too. No, didn't buy the PC-III from FM, it came with the bike when I bought the bike. Man, I miss the carb on my '04, was way less complicated

Last edited by sargek; 10-20-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:11 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by anickel
Mine sneezes if I try to start right away, if I wait for pump to stop (5 seconds or so) it starts right up. I dont know if fuel moto will help you out if you didn't buy from them. If not one of the dyno jet guys visits the other forum regularly and helps people out.
They helped me out and I told them I didn't get it from them. They actually sent me the map I have and supported me over the phone on at least 3 occasions. I will be buying my next one from them for my fatboy, but it will be a PCV, they are great guys.

sargek,
Make sure your idle is set at 0 on the chart of the PCIII. If not you can reset it to 0 from your laptop, this cured all my idle issues. Good luck!

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 10-20-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Starting a bike with a PC-III