Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered ohlins 3-3

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:34 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
So what kind of discount are we talking about that the forum members recieve? The #3 line look to run $1000, A little steep for most.
I've also seen were one person recommended the 3-3 for a street glide, wouldn't the 3-1 (12") or 3-2 (12 19/32" to 13 ") be closer to the lower stock stance of the street glides 12" shock?
My backs not getting any better and the stock shocks seem fine, but I could see in the future getting some Ohlins just to see. I put Progressives on my softail because just like the Ohlins everone said they were great. I thought they were a little worse but did lower my bike so I kept them on. Paying this kind of money I want to be sure I have the correct setup.
It's a substantial discount, call Howard for the price. The 3-3s have more stroke, but at 12 3/4" at the shortest adjustment, minus 1/3 the travel for sag they end up setting about the same height as the 12" SG shocks when you set on the bike, but with a lot more travel. I totally understand wanting to be sure about a product befor you drop that much money. Search the previous posted threads, there are several members who have tried many of the "premium" shocks, and found the Ohlins to be clearly a cut above. If you have back issues, Ohlins take the jolt out of even the worst of bumps.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
I'd like to know whom with SG have Ohlins and which model... i ride 85% alone.. putting on a tour pak this winter so will have some extra weight...
I've had the Ohlins #2-3 installed for two years and they will stay on this bike as long as I own it. The stock SG shocks were just barely on the favorable side of no suspension at all, and the 12½" Progressive 440's (standard springs) I replaced them with were a useful improvement, but I felt I could do better. The ride of the 440's was okay but the preload was very sensitive. Too much and it stiffened the ride too much and too little and they would bottom too easily. They also had no rebound control at all and although this wasn't a huge issue it was always something I noticed and wanted to get rid of. I felt there was something better out there and decided to try the Ohlins based on the favorable feedback I was reading at the time, mostly on this forum. It was a good move for me and I've never regretted the decision.

Getting a softer ride with better control was just the fundamental result. I've found that I can go longer without butt breakdown or needing to attach my backrest. I ride only solo and when I attach the Tour Pak and load the bike down for a trip I don't need to reset the preload like I did with the other two. To be fair, these Ohlins shocks have much more stroke than either of the other two types I had, 13¼" vs. 12" for the stockers and 12½" for the Progressives. In a sense it wasn't a fair fight, and the downside to the Ohlins is that the slammed look is no longer present. That's a minor side-effect I can live with considering the gains I've achieved. I can't say how 13" or 13½" 440's would ride, but I doubt if they would achieve this level of comfort, and they still wouldn't have any rebound control.

As has already been mentioned, be sure to take advantage of the HDForums discount, which in my case was substantial.

Last edited by iclick; 10-29-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:06 PM
sheikyerbouti
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post is great. The fact that so many folks love these shocks helped me finally make a decision.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:31 PM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too will be purchasing ohlins. Nice thread!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:23 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Sounds pretty good from several satisfied people, guess I'll look into it for my 09" SG

Old 10-30-2011, 09:35 PM
wrenchguy24
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I got the shocks put on Friday Night !!
Howard said not to worry about any adjustments yet get at least 500 miles on them!!
Well first impressions I think there a little harsh!!!
I did put a tie starp on the shaft of 1 shock just to see how much travel im getting
It drives it to the bottom!! It seems that the smaller bumbs I feel more than I should!!
I only got to ride about 150 miles this weekend with the IOWA weather so with november coming in 2 days may not get to ride much more this year!!

Old 10-30-2011, 09:47 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I too just installed mine, but I experienced a big difference from the stock shocks. I too have to put about 500mi before adjustment so that they get broke in, but my ride has already improved a lot. So I'm looking forward to final adjustment.

I was able to keep the lowered look and still get the Ohlins. I ordered the #2-#2(A) 12 1/8" with a 3 1/4" stroke on my 01 Ultra.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:27 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

After emailing Howard I placed an order also.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:05 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Instructions

Originally Posted by wrenchguy24
Well I got the shocks put on Friday Night !!
Howard said not to worry about any adjustments yet get at least 500 miles on them!!
Well first impressions I think there a little harsh!!!
I did put a tie starp on the shaft of 1 shock just to see how much travel im getting
It drives it to the bottom!! It seems that the smaller bumbs I feel more than I should!!
I only got to ride about 150 miles this weekend with the IOWA weather so with november coming in 2 days may not get to ride much more this year!!
Re-reading my post, please do not think I am talking down or disrespecting you, does no one any good. Let us just fix your problem. This is, in no way personnel but let us just cut to the chase and get er' done..

I sent you the unofficial installation guide 2X and it is on my web site as well. You must set the shocks up initially, never said "you should not worry about any adjustments yet", you must put them on as per directions. What I said was do not worry about making and continuing to make fine adjustments as the shocks are breaking in because that would drive you nuts. I know that you did not install the shocks properly because they are bottoming out. I hope that you did align the shocks as per instructions as damage can & will occur as per directions.

I also told you to call me and we would install the shocks together so there would be no misunderstandings. Clearly there is. You did not call me like I told you twice that I remember, like I tell everyone. I also told you that the mechanics you have, I am sure, are great and top notch but they are not suspension technicians and need to read to follow the directions I developed. I send my car to a mechanic who does that job every day, call me for your shocks as that is what I do every day, not a auto mechanic or yourself.

Using the directions I sent you, your shocks can not bottom out as they are fully adjustable. I have many, many clients who have no mechanical skills. They listen and do what they read and are told with the desired results and no harsh ride or bottoming out, first time, every time. I am here for you and call me just about anytime! I will make your problems disappear.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:13 PM
wrenchguy24
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Re-reading my post, please do not think I am talking down or disrespecting you, does no one any good. Let us just fix your problem. This is, in no way personnel but let us just cut to the chase and get er' done..

I sent you the unofficial installation guide 2X and it is on my web site as well. You must set the shocks up initially, never said "you should not worry about any adjustments yet", you must put them on as per directions. What I said was do not worry about making and continuing to make fine adjustments as the shocks are breaking in because that would drive you nuts. I know that you did not install the shocks properly because they are bottoming out. I hope that you did align the shocks as per instructions as damage can & will occur as per directions.

I also told you to call me and we would install the shocks together so there would be no misunderstandings. Clearly there is. You did not call me like I told you twice that I remember, like I tell everyone. I also told you that the mechanics you have, I am sure, are great and top notch but they are not suspension technicians and need to read to follow the directions I developed. I send my car to a mechanic who does that job every day, call me for your shocks as that is what I do every day, not a auto mechanic or yourself.

Using the directions I sent you, your shocks can not bottom out as they are fully adjustable. I have many, many clients who have no mechanical skills. They listen and do what they read and are told with the desired results and no harsh ride or bottoming out, first time, every time. I am here for you and call me just about anytime! I will make your problems disappear.

Sorry Howard didnt mean to come across that I was complaning!!!! Im Not !!!
I only have 150 miles on them cant wait to get them broke in!!! And start adjusting them!

Quick Reply: Ordered ohlins 3-3