Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wanna be able to kill the the lights on RK

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 PM
chipdavey
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wanna be able to kill the the lights on RK

I was wondering if some people here might be able to help me out? OK, I have an 06 Road King, and am wanting to have the ability to turn on the ignition, (start the bike) with out having the lights on. I would like to be able to ride the thing without lights to. I am fairly saavy with 12V wiring, and the RK has an extra switch in front of tank, it goes to nothing. I was wondering if a relay (connected to switch) going to light circuit would work? and if so, where is it? I am opposed to spend $60 at the stealer to purchase the HD wiring service manual. Thanks

Old 10-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by chipdavey
I am opposed to spend $60 at the stealer to purchase the HD wiring service manual. Thanks
Instead you'll just rely on those that spent the money?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:44 PM
aktid35
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull your headlight, pull connecter, get out volt meter find power. Take power cut wire, splice to accessory toggle, orange and white wire(i think) been awhile. Did the same thing with my high beams, wanted to be able to run them and my spotlights so I could BE SEEN. Do at your own risk, not sure if the fuse on accessory switch can handle the load from the man beam and or high. Of course this would only disable your headlight, you would still have all other markers on, and routing everything thru the same fuse would be risky. Probably cook something. Personally I wouldnt do it man but the idea would be the same for the rest of the system.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:50 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Why you want to do that? Just about everybody runs with lights on now. This ain't 1970 you know.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:56 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

crane cams website has wiring diagram for killing lights while starter is operating via relay ( this gives full battery power to starter and ECM)

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-19-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Why you want to do that? Just about everybody runs with lights on now. This ain't 1970 you know.
I was thinking the same thing. Your light is the one thing that makes you visible to cell phone soccer moms, texting teenie boppers and other known road hazards. Why would you want to remove the biggest safety piece on your bike? And about the Service Manual, don't figure the $60.00 is a waste of money, if you do even a small amount of your own work, the manual will pay for itself in no time. A parts manual is also a good idea also.

If you can't/won't pay the dealer for the hard copy manual, look at e-bay, sometimes you can get electronic versions of the manuals pretty cheap. I can't say that they're legal or not, but I've got a copy and am very happy with it to go along with my Official HD version of the printed manual.

Last edited by DGlide04; 10-19-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:10 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

I am pretty certain that the law makes you run with your lights on, came into effect in the early 70's. Are you planning to go on some sort of covert mission, LOL

Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Cozmic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed, so I can figure this out too. In case I might want to rob a place some night, and be able to disappear into the dark.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

And here I am adding $750 worth of LED's, HID's, Triple Plays, etc.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Jim_G
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cozmic
Subscribed, so I can figure this out too. In case I might want to rob a place some night, and be able to disappear into the dark.
Loud pipes save liquor stores!

Quick Reply: wanna be able to kill the the lights on RK